Widebeam dimensions

baronbradders

Featured Posts

I appreciate that there are those on this forum that aren't that keen on widebeams, and to be honest my ideal new boat would be a 70ft narrowbeam.

But this sadly is not to be as my wife has now decreed that with two small children and three cats our new home has got to be a widebeam.

The shell will be colecraft and we can basically have any dimensions that we want. I have had many conversations with the builder and the current thinking is a 60' by 14' shell. We will be based on the trent so these dimensions should in theory be fine and our wanderings will probably be limted to the waterways of the east midlands and the north.

However, on browsing through the apolloduck listings I could only find one boat with a 14' beam. The majority of the boats are 10' and a few at 12'6 and I'm thinking that there must be a good reason for this.

Am I likely to run into difficulties with a 14' beamed boat? And if so would I be better reducing the beam to 13'6'' or even 12'6''? And also is it worth sacrificing the boats length to 57'6'' so we can get down the Calder and Hebble?

I appreciate any replies as we are putting everything into the new boat and lifestyle and I want to get as much as I can right before we build.

Ta for now.

I'm sure Gary Peacock will be along in a minute, and will explain why Ledgard boats do not have a wide flat bottom like JLo, but I guess it is very difficult to design the scantlings for a conventional 14ft widebeam within the code applicable to the RCD.

It depends what you want to do with it - if you just want to sit on a mooring then go for 14' bit if you want to move 14' is too wide. Personally I think that 12' or 12' 6" beam is about as wide as you want to go. Double locks on the Southern GU are 14' wide so you definately wouldn't want a boat wider than 13'. In addition a 14' beam boat that's 60' long may look stumpy & out of proportion.

Edit: My boat is 12' beam and that's plenty wide enough.

Edited by blackrose

I appreciate that there are those on this forum that aren't that keen on widebeams, and to be honest my ideal new boat would be a 70ft narrowbeam.But this sadly is not to be as my wife has now decreed that with two small children and three cats our new home has got to be a widebeam.The shell will be colecraft and we can basically have any dimensions that we want. I have had many conversations with the builder and the current thinking is a 60' by 14' shell. We will be based on the trent so these dimensions should in theory be fine and our wanderings will probably be limted to the waterways of the east midlands and the north.However, on browsing through the apolloduck listings I could only find one boat with a 14' beam. The majority of the boats are 10' and a few at 12'6 and I'm thinking that there must be a good reason for this.Am I likely to run into difficulties with a 14' beamed boat? And if so would I be better reducing the beam to 13'6'' or even 12'6''? And also is it worth sacrificing the boats length to 57'6'' so we can get down the Calder and Hebble?I appreciate any replies as we are putting everything into the new boat and lifestyle and I want to get as much as I can right before we build.Ta for now.
I would go for a 57ft x 12ft and have then build it with a chined bottom, rather than a flat one. I had one of theirs built in this way and they handle very well, even steer astern to. With a 57ft boat you can do more in the North East than you can with a 60ft one.

Quite a difficult question is that there are lots of parameters involved.

Do you want a barge or a fat narrowboat? A fat narrowboat over 8ft needs to be well built or the paper work well cooked.

Where do you want to use the boat and what size prop will it need and will that cause you a restriction on use?

Do you create a purely UK usable boat or look to incorporate features suited to the continent.

Do you want to build a boat that can be moored on a tidal estuary? A bendy bottom is non starter in that case.

If you have a huge roof area do you want it to built to deck standards so you can use it.

Are you having a wheelhouse big boats with big engines and tillers are "interesting"!

Anything with a squarish stern above 56'6" needs to be backed into some locks on the C&H to get the gates closed.

I would go for about 56' x 11' personally for the UK and 60'ft plus x 14' for the continent with a 100 plus hp and prop to suit.

The bottom line is you build the boat for what it is going to be used for, with skinny ditch crawlers it isn't so much of a factor one ditch is much like another but go big and you enter a completely different world. :o

There is a load of big fat boat info HERE :(

Thanks for all the advice.

Got even more to think about now.

Seems the ideal for us would be 57 by 12'6 with a chined bottom.

Time to redraw the plans and try and fit everything in......again!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the bridge holes - while the locks on a canal such as the GU may be 14ft wide

there are certain bridges - particularly on the northern section from Calcutt onwards - where many of the bridge profiles remain as they were prior to the widening that was completed in 1934. The bridge at Blue Lias near Stockton is probably the tightest of the lot.

So you need to consider the cabin profile seriously too.

Dominic

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the bridge holes - while the locks on a canal such as the GU may be 14ft wide

there are certain bridges - particularly on the northern section from Calcutt onwards - where many of the bridge profiles remain as they were prior to the widening that was completed in 1934. The bridge at Blue Lias near Stockton is probably the tightest of the lot.

So you need to consider the cabin profile seriously too.

Dominic

Yes, depending on your airdraft, with beams of about 11' and over the amount of tumblehome becomes increasingly important.

This is my 12' beam boat in construction - the airdraft is no higher than most narrowboats so I have no problem with bridgeholes, although I haven't been under the bridges that Dominic mentions.

Scan0003.jpg

Edited by blackrose