Is this what I need? quick reply; please.

Bojangles

Featured Posts

I've been thinking of getting an Alternator controller and there is this Sterling one SEE HERE at £81 less 20%.

It seems cheap but will it be ok for me. I'm getting a standard Barrus Shire 40hp engine with twin alternators.

Will this Sterling DAR12 controller handle the two alternators?

Your quick reply appreciated as the sale finishes at 5:30 today.

Thanks

I opened a thread a few weeks back on alternator controllers and the consensus was the PDAR is the one to go for. This is the thread

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13019

P

So is THIS ONE a better buy at £93.60? Plus a remote panel at around £70?

That's around a £100 more. Well over double the price of the DAR, I don't think I need the 24v option :D

Edited by Bojangles

Have you already got a split charge diode? or perhaps a split charge relay?

With two alternators you might want to consider one of sterling's 'alternator to battery charger'

Getting lost here. I'm not electrically conversant.

I'm having a new boat fitted out - bare shell at the moment.

The Barrus Shire 40 , to be fitted, has 2 alternators 50amp and a 110amp

Would I be better off with an 'alternator to battery charger' rather than an alternator controller?

The Barrus Shire 40 , to be fitted, has 2 alternators 50amp and a 110amp

Would I be better off with an 'alternator to battery charger' rather than an alternator controller?

I'm looking at the 'A to B charger' because i'm looking at splitting the charge from 2 x 70A alternators

With 50 & 110 alternators you can keep things simple and just buy a regulator to get the best from the 110A for your domestic bank.

I'm looking at the 'A to B charger' because i'm looking at splitting the charge from 2 x 70A alternators

With 50 & 110 alternators you can keep things simple and just buy a regulator to get the best from the 110A for your domestic bank.

Thanks Scotty. I'll get on the phone to MC. Cheers for the advice :D

Time now 17:29 and bought one. So please don't anyone tell me now I shouldn't have :wacko:

Edited by Bojangles

The DAR will do the same job as the PDAR and both do a great job. The PDAR has a couple of advantages though, in that there is a remote display available which IMHO is well worth having, rather than having to check LED status lights down by the batteries somewhere.

Secondly, the PDAR also incorporates alternator temperature monitoring and auto shut-down (in the event of overheating). Both types have battery temperature monitoring.

Chris

The DAR will do the same job as the PDAR and both do a great job. The PDAR has a couple of advantages though, in that there is a remote display available which IMHO is well worth having, rather than having to check LED status lights down by the batteries somewhere.

Secondly, the PDAR also incorporates alternator temperature monitoring and auto shut-down (in the event of overheating). Both types have battery temperature monitoring.

Chris

Thanks Chris - that's good to know. At least I haven't bought a bit of kit useless to me. :D

May be possible to use the battery temperature monitoring to monitor the alternator too.

A thermal switch on the alternator and a resistor across the battery temperature monitor might do it (if sensor is 'NTC')

So when alternator gets too hot it makes the controller think the battery has overheated and shut itself down.

cheers,

Pete.

May be possible to use the battery temperature monitoring to monitor the alternator too.

A thermal switch on the alternator and a resistor across the battery temperature monitor might do it (if sensor is 'NTC')

So when alternator gets too hot it makes the controller think the battery has overheated and shut itself down.

cheers,

Pete.

Wow Pete - I wish I knew what you were talking about. This sounds like 'rocket science' to me :D