Rochdale Canal

Janet S

Featured Posts

Locks 53 - 54, Castleton

Thursday 24 January 2008 until further notice

UPDATE (4 February 2008): British Waterways regret to confirm that due to an act of vandalism the canal will remain closed until further notice. Engineers are currently assessing the length of time needed to install a satisfactory repair to the canal embankment within the Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) area. A further update will be issued once this assessment is complete. British Waterways apologises for any inconvenience that this may cause.

--------

An emergency stoppage is required between Locks 53 and 54 on the Rochdale Canal. Our engineers are attending the site and a further update notice will be issued once an assessment has taken place. Winding can be found above Lock 57 and below Lock 50. British Waterways apologises for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Chris, you're not funny! Cute maybe, but not funny....Remind me if I meet you that I owe you a slap.....!

It really is SO frustrating. We have planned this trip for several years now, but every single time something has come up to stop us doing it. We've had closures due to a building falling into the canal, a breach of the canal embankment which stopped us for two consecutive years, and more recently, this to$$er who has a chainsaw, a JCB, possible mental problems and an unresolved dispute with BW.

We don't have the luxury of our own boat, and being able to take our time. We've more or less given up on it now, but we have a boat booked for THREE weeks in May. Possible, just possible.....watch this space!

Janet

• 1 month later...

I've been informed today that the Rochdale is now fully open to through navigation. Let's hope we can get a full year this time.

Farmer Jones junior is confined awaiting 'Her Majesty's pleasure' for a few months. Though that gives me no pleasure in itself, perhaps he will behave himself when he gets back into society.

I've been informed today that the Rochdale is now fully open to through navigation. Let's hope we can get a full year this time.

Farmer Jones junior is confined awaiting 'Her Majesty's pleasure' for a few months. Though that gives me no pleasure in itself, perhaps he will behave himself when he gets back into society.

Blimey! Long time no read John! Welcome back.

I've been misinformed ! The Rochdale is not open.

During a meeting with BW yesterday I was informed that though the Farmer Jones issue has been resolved they will not be opening the canal until they have visited the Mad Farmers family and had assurances from them about the blokes future behaviour. It does seem to me however if his family had any influence over him we would not have had problems in the first place.

But what do I know. It does seem to be a bad precedent that a canal can be kept closed purely on the whim of a BW executive.

I've been misinformed ! The Rochdale is not open.

That's what I thought, but I then thought that perhaps you'd received some secret information! BW has not issued a re-open notice on this particular stoppage.

Although, strangely, they issued a semi-stoppage notice earlier this week on Grimshaw Lane Lift Bridge (i.e. that it required operation by BW staff) and yesterday announced that it was now open to boater-operation again. A bit pointless if the canal is shut for an undefined period just a bit further up!

During a meeting with BW yesterday I was informed that though the Farmer Jones issue has been resolved they will not be opening the canal until they have visited the Mad Farmers family and had assurances from them about the blokes future behaviour. It does seem to me however if his family had any influence over him we would not have had problems in the first place.

At last week's User Group meeting it was said that the bank had been cut through again and that someone had then tried to repair it themselves (possibly in the hope of stopping Mr Jones from being in further bother). BW needs to check the bank to see if the repair is safe or whether it will need a professional repair. BW then said that they could not inspect the bank as it was on Mr Jones' land and they didn't want to make matters worse by using "powers" to go onto the land without the Jones' family's consent.

I can understand them wanting to tread very carefully in this delicate matter but it is incredibly frustrating to boaters who want to use the canal!

• 3 weeks later...