leaky sealand

SarahB

Featured Posts

Hi everyone

I need to be able to get the big jubilee clip off the base of my toilet so I can take the top section off to inspect the pipes (as that's where it's leaking from).

The way it's been installed is impossible to get a look at how best to undo the jubilee clip. I guess someone somewhere will already know how I should be doing it and I wondered if anyone could help?

My lovely selection of spanners aren't doing it and I cant get my head round far enough to have a look (and so far not been able to work out just by feeling) if it's a screw (and if so what sort) that would actually get it undone.

Sorry if it's a beginners question!

Sarah

You can definitely undo the jubilee clip with either a spanner or a screwdriver. I'm fairly sure I've seen both types, a flat slot and a cross-head, but you should be able to feel which of those it is.

Are you sure you need to take it off though? If it's a dump-through type you should be able to get to all the pipes without taking the bowl off. It's worth checking whether the leak is coming from where the vacuum-breaker pushes into the top of the back of the bowl (ours developed a leak there and it took me ages to realise). The flexible pipe from the tap mechanism at the bottom, goes up behind the bowl and attaches to a plastic part which pushes into the bowl with a rubber washer and has a big plastic nut. The idea is that to fit it you loosen the nut, push the thing into the china, then tighten the nut which compresses the rubber and scrunches it up so it makes a seal. When it gets old it is easily knocked out of place. You can test for a leak by wrapping a dry cloth around it and seeing if it gets wet, and you can mechanically test it by grabbing hold of it and seeing if you can pull it out of the bowl. The big plastic nut, by the way, is too big for any of my spanners, in the end I had to use an adjustable on it

Hi Sarah

Gary's tool suggestion is spot on providing your clip has a 'nut' head of the appropriate size -- but not all do. Might I suggest the simple expedient of a mirror first, to try and see what you're aiming at. Whatever type of drive it is, ensure you have the tool squarely in place before putting any force on. If you can't make any progress, the last resort is to very carefully hacksaw through an exposed part of the clip, taking great care not to go through the underlying pipe.

Mike.

Thanks everyone - I needed a socket set (which remarkably I had) to get the back one off, I had to borrow someone from the boatyard to help with the big one - mostly because I just couldn't get enough oomph behind it to start it off.

It's definitely the vacuum breaker that's leaking - I even had the original booklet so now know the part number and everything. I'm hopeful that the part is still around to re-order. Toilet dismantled, problem found and toilet reassembled for the time being.

My first official solo plumbing project!! And I'm happy that I can replace the vacuum breaker and while I'm ordering that I'm going to replace the seal.

Mostly I am very proud of myself for my independent plumbing (or I will be when all replaced and leak stopped!)

Now I'm just hoping that when all the bits are replaced my water pump shuts up so I know it was the only culprit!!

I now have no reason not to attempt the next mission....

Drilling a hole in a shelf to run an extension cable through... Did attempt it at the weekend but after failing to fit the handle properly and being smacked on the knuckle with it (big ouch) the drill got returned to the box while I sulk with it. Round two planned for the weekend!