New Windows

BeckyJC

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I've been lurking on here for months now, but have finally decided to bite the bullet and say Hello!

I've been living on my boat for 6 months now, and have her booked in for a paint job next summer. As the windows on the (16 year old) boat have been painted by previous owners, and are in varying states of repair, I'm going to have them replaced when the boat has been stripped for the paint job.

Does anyone have any recommendations for boat window companies, or horror stories of ones to avoid? The current windows are made by Caldwells, but are a standard size so I believe (?) I can go for ANY manufacturer for the replacements? I will be looking at single-glazed windows, probably black (powder-coatdd?).

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Becky

Was going to say that we have Channelglaze and we found them OK.

Unfortunately their website is being upgraded at present so you can't see them on the web.

Have a look at Worcester Windows. - http://www.narrowboatwindows.co.uk/home/stype.htm - I have them and still like the look. They are clamped in from the inside so the outside look nice and smooth. The glass takes out entirely to clean or replace it. I have the radiused top and bottom and think they suit a boat beautifully. Don't bother with tints - you can't tell, and make SURE they are well sealed to the steel when you fit them.

Hi All,

I've been lurking on here for months now, but have finally decided to bite the bullet and say Hello!

I've been living on my boat for 6 months now, and have her booked in for a paint job next summer. As the windows on the (16 year old) boat have been painted by previous owners, and are in varying states of repair, I'm going to have them replaced when the boat has been stripped for the paint job.

Does anyone have any recommendations for boat window companies, or horror stories of ones to avoid? The current windows are made by Caldwells, but are a standard size so I believe (?) I can go for ANY manufacturer for the replacements? I will be looking at single-glazed windows, probably black (powder-coatdd?).

Becky

We've got Caldwells and found them fine. Main thing is whatever you replace them with, take great care that the surface preparation, painting and sealing is spot on before you fit your new ones.

Mike.

Mike.

• 8 months later...
Hi All,

Becky

Hi,

go for the Worcester Marine windows, quality is excellent & fitting a doddle. Use sikaflex to seal them, this can be overpainted..............silicon cant. :lol:

Our boats equiped with Worcester windows - very good quality and seems far better than the drill through variety on a corrosion point of view.

I too have worcester (spelling ?) marine S type windows and think they are the dogs danglies (sealed with window tape and marine flex).

I would recomend them.

Out of interest, what do you do with the clamp-in type windows when the time comes to reseal them? Frequently the clamp part is buried under the internal fit out which would involve a lot of destruction, unlike those held in by exterior screws.

I haven't had the problem but consider if sealed properly in the first place this should not be necessarry.

You are correct in assuming that the clamps are behind the lining, but I have tried to build my boat in such a way that if I have to I can undo and remove evrything without destroying it.

ask again in a few years ! :lol:

I haven't had the problem but consider if sealed properly in the first place this should not be necessarry.

You are correct in assuming that the clamps are behind the lining, but I have tried to build my boat in such a way that if I have to I can undo and remove evrything without destroying it.

ask again in a few years ! :lol:

I know a boat painter who curses them because to paint properly they need to come out. And sooner or later they will need to be resealed anyway. So your design for access to the clamps is good planning. But I'm sure most are buried behind the linings.

Thanks for the info