Where's the nearest canal to Mansfield?

Smelly

Featured Posts

• 3 weeks later...
Probably the Erewash at Langley MillAA gives it as 12.5 miles

Sorry only just seen this but I'd agree with that! I'm at Langley Mill and work in Mansfield. On a good day it's a 20 min drive and on a bad day 45 mins. There's also the "black cat" bus that runs every hour from LM to Mansfield during the week, not sure it runs on a Sunday.

There's also the Chesterfield canal but no idea about moorings and also I don't think it's linked to anywhere else!

Feel free to PM if you want anymore info.

Sarah

There's also the Chesterfield canal but no idea about moorings and also I don't think it's linked to anywhere else!

The Chesterfield canal at Chesterfield itself is an isolated stretch, though under restoration. It could be many years before the canal is reconnected to the system. The stretch of the Chesterfield through Worksop is connected, though only by tidal water, but is slightly further from Mansfield than Langley Mill, though not a lot in it. I'd say perhaps 5 miles further.

We lived near Mansfield ten years ago when we first had our boat. In fact, we moored at Redhill - just a hop and skip down the M1 from Annesley and with ready access to the TRent, the Tent and Mersey Canal, the Erewash and the River Soar through towards Leicester. After a couple of years we moved the boat to Shireoaks Marina on the Chesterfield Can just west of Worksop - again a quick road up the A60 from Mansfield. Although here there were fewer optio in terms of cruising unless you were prepared to take to the tidal Trent on a regular basis.