fuel line

jpwilson

Featured Posts

hi, i have johnathan wilson trad. while trying to fit connector to fuel sedimentor/filter for webasto supply i was unable to stop flow of diesel. on closer inspection of pipes fuel cut off is connected in fuel return line, ie pipe not going to 1st filter. engine as run ok even when low on diesel, does this mean pick up pipe & return pipe both go to bottom of tank or is fuel shut off just on wrong pipe? any thoughts greatly appreciated as i'm not sure if i should assume wrong pipe is connected or cut off is on wrong pipe, any ideas .

Can you clarify John. Are you trying to tee-off for the Webasto from the main diesel pipe to the engine?

On my tank, both the flow and return diesel pipes for the engine go to the top of the diesel tank but then have pipes that descend to almost the bottom of the tank inside the diesel tank. (they don't go right to the bottom of the tank to avoid sucking up crap).

My Webasto diesel supply pipe is separate from these latter pipes and is another connection to the top of the tank with a pipe going down inside the tank.

Normally the main flow pipe for the engine will have a shut off valve soon after the tank. I believe, the BSC rules call for there to be a valve in the main flow pipe NOT in the return pipe. From a maintenance viewpoint, this is also the only place it could be, otherwise you couldn't isolate the diesel tank to carry out repairs/checks on the engine's fuel system.

Chris

Can you clarify John. Are you trying to tee-off for the Webasto from the main diesel pipe to the engine?

On my tank, both the flow and return diesel pipes for the engine go to the top of the diesel tank but then have pipes that descend to almost the bottom of the tank inside the diesel tank. (they don't go right to the bottom of the tank to avoid sucking up crap).

My Webasto diesel supply pipe is separate from these latter pipes and is another connection to the top of the tank with a pipe going down inside the tank.

Normally the main flow pipe for the engine will have a shut off valve soon after the tank. I believe, the BSC rules call for there to be a valve in the main flow pipe NOT in the return pipe. From a maintenance viewpoint, this is also the only place it could be, otherwise you couldn't isolate the diesel tank to carry out repairs/checks on the engine's fuel system.

Chris

hi chris, yes i,m considering teeing into engine supply side of sedimentor/filter looked into seperate supply off tank, then looked at a couple of boats on marina & they seemed to have connected to filter which from my point of view is the easier option for me. they dont seem to have had any problems doing this way & at least diesel is filtered before goint to webasto

yes i,m considering teeing into engine supply side of sedimentor/filter looked into seperate supply off tank, then looked at a couple of boats on marina & they seemed to have connected to filter which from my point of view is the easier option for me. they dont seem to have had any problems doing this way & at least diesel is filtered before goint to webasto

Can't see a problem taking it from the filter if its not mounted on the engine, but you probably need a tap in both outlets - engine and webasto.

I've found isolator valves in awkward places on trads - like only way to turn diesel off is to lean over a hot or burning engine?

Usually find only one valve is fitted on the supply, but most people soon find it necessary to put one in the return as well, but it will depend on whether tank is integral, gravity fed etc. as to where the valve is! Got to have one so the filter can be changed?

Don't know if it's a standard with integral tanks but most seem to have the feed on the port side, return on the starboard, but I've seem some with both on the port side. If you think the pipes might kave been connected up wrong and the tank is integral (return does not always go to the bottom), you will have to test it when the fuel is low unless you have an access panel. Some builders (especially those not supplying engines) often just fit two pipes the same.

We have separate feeds and returns for the diesel heater and engine. The Heater pickup is higher in the tank than the engine one.

This ensures that the heater shuts down before you run too low on diesel to start your engine, so that you can go and get some more. :)

I dont know about a boats fuel tank but on a car the return fuel line doesnt always go to the bottom of the tank. As someone mentioned above both fuel pipes leave the tank at the top but the inlet pipe will have a pipe going to near the bottom of the tank inside. The return might not. I certainly know my tank doesnt have a pipe going to the bottom for the return line in my car.

Would be worth having a switch in both lines though so if you do need to ever change something along that line you can isolate the fuel and reduce the fuel spillage and less time repriming the engine :)

• 2 weeks later...
hi, i have johnathan wilson trad. while trying to fit connector to fuel sedimentor/filter for webasto supply i was unable to stop flow of diesel. on closer inspection of pipes fuel cut off is connected in fuel return line, ie pipe not going to 1st filter. engine as run ok even when low on diesel, does this mean pick up pipe & return pipe both go to bottom of tank or is fuel shut off just on wrong pipe? any thoughts greatly appreciated as i'm not sure if i should assume wrong pipe is connected or cut off is on wrong pipe, any ideas .

A picture (or a photo) is worth a thousand words.........

I dont know about a boats fuel tank but on a car the return fuel line doesnt always go to the bottom of the tank. As someone mentioned above both fuel pipes leave the tank at the top but the inlet pipe will have a pipe going to near the bottom of the tank inside. The return might not. I certainly know my tank doesnt have a pipe going to the bottom for the return line in my car.

Would be worth having a switch in both lines though so if you do need to ever change something along that line you can isolate the fuel and reduce the fuel spillage and less time repriming the engine :lol:

Do not put an 'off' cock in the return line. Failure to switch this on when running the engine could cause a major fire.