HELP and advice on ex hire boat purchase, convert to liveaboard?

Featured Posts

On 27/04/2024 at 16:53, Birdie2601 said:

Thank you Tam & Di- yes it's a good point to look at the insulation for winter periods and I did not reckon that into the mix so I will now research which type of insulation is best - if you have any pointers on this please let me know? The other side of the coin in that this will also possibly be a very hot boat in summer due to the same reason doesn't quite compute in my brain but I bet it makes sense when I research the technical stuff! :) If you have an idea on best insulation or a year that old insulation types stopped being used, please do update me.  Thank you for advice, B

Foam insulation was in use when my boat was built, in 1999, essentially its a professional job, there is no condensation and only in the hottest weather do I need to moor under trees. There are other methods which may be successfull, including insulation boards such as Celotex. Every boat is unique in so many ways, its not easy to generalise.

I have a boat which has both portholes and windows, even with window curtains closed, it is noticeably cooler in summer in the porthole area. I did not consider the advantage when I bought the boat. I have also added insulation fabric to the curtain lining, this helps in winter and in summer, the curtains are closed quite frequently, for privacy.

Edited by LadyG