CHIMNEY SWEEPING

Karen Louise

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

Does anyone use Flufree. A chemical that you put on the fire when burning to help clear the chimney.

Think you can also get cleaning logs that you burn.

I have used Flufree 

I wonder what kind of emissions it produces? I guess it must have been tested to satisfy some British or EU standards. The trouble is that substances and materials which might produce relatively harmless emissions at high temperatures can easily produce things like dioxins at the sort of low temperatures many boat stoves are run at. 

I've just used the normal flu brush sold by the chandlers (looks like this) for the last few years, never had a problem with it. It's just a few mm wider than the flu, so pushing it down/pulling up while turning is effective.

Mind you I don't get any significant build up of tar really, generally just that fluffy dry stuff (I burn dry wood from the fuel boat, with heat logs to start up (or all day if out of reach of a fuel boat)) and having swept the chimney today after 2-3months of running the stove daily, there was only about 3mm of that fluffy stuff coating the inside.

What are people burning to get tough tar deposits building up in the chimney? Is it wet/unseasoned wood?

Edited by Ewan123

31 minutes ago, Ewan123 said:

What are people burning to get tough tar deposits building up in the chimney? Is it wet/unseasoned wood?

I don't think it needs to be unseasoned wood. With the typical short flue lengths on boats which are well below stove manufacturers' specified lengths, many stoves on boats don't really draw well and therefore don't burn properly to start with. Then the stove is closed down and invariably left to smoulder all night and that just exacerbates the issues. So even seasoned wood will create thick tarry deposits when burned in those conditions.