Underfloor heating

Oliver

Featured Posts

Having watched lot of programmes on self-build houses where they reckon that underfloor heating is the best thing since sliced bread, it set me wondering - could you use underfloor heating on a narrowboat?

Given the systems the self builders seem to prefer are the ones that pipe hot water under the floor, could you connect up to the calorifier?

Would it work or would you just end up heating the canal?

Edited by Oliver

Oliver.

I don't think there is any reason why it should not work, in fact the symetrical nature of a narrowboat would probably lend itself very well to such a system. If I remember though doesn't that system require some form of insulation below the heating pipes and a layer of concrete to be laid on top.

I realise that you are 'thinking aloud' here, and I am sure if it feasible someone will do it, but I do wonder sometimes where it will all end, I used to aspire to a woodburning stove and a cosy cabin, are we all getting a bit to far away from boats.

John Squeers

Edited by John Orentas

Oliver.

Thinking a bit more about underfloor heating, I have seen some of those programmes, everybody wants underfoor heating. Back in the early 1960's thousands of council houses and flats in my area were built with underfoor heating, it was hailed as the the unlimate clean modern system. The new residents however hated it, made your feet too hot, was not easily controlled and gave you colds and flu. I wonder what has changed.

John Squeers

Edited by John Orentas

I suggest that any form of heating which tends to heat the ballast space is a bad thing, because the heat/cold cycle that will occur for most users will encourage condensation, bilge water and rust.

Insulation below the heating pipes is essential, but may be impractical and less than fully effective.

I prefer a cold floor with good insulation over. For example the plywood provided by the yard, plus heavy insulating felt and carpet (carpet tiles for convenience).

I think you would have to make floor out of a material that stores and conducts heat efficiently. As John O says concrete is the usual, I spent two years of my life disconnecting these sytems in Preston as they were inefficient. That is not to say they can't be efficient - things move on, but the biggest problem was repairing them should any fault occur (which they did). If we ever fit heating in ours other than a stove, it will probably be finrads or similar in discreet places-low level but accessible.

John

You were right, I was just thinking aloud and a bit curious. We're using finrads - thought being that they start giving out heat at the floor and also along the length of the boat rather than traditional rads which start the heat in patches half way up the side of the boat.

I don't think underfloor heating as suggested is very practical on a NB.

I suggest running return pipework from rads etc. on opposite side of cabin to get some air circulation.

A slightly off topic question but whats the neatest way to put pipework onto the opposite side of the cabin without going under the floor or creating a 'step' at floor level etc?

Hi All

I see no problem in fitting underfloor heating if you want it as in the good old USA they fit it under wooden floors by fastning the pipe to the undersidethen putting insulation foil backed in between the joists from below. it will be harder to do as you can not get under the floor but should be passable.

A slightly off topic question but whats the neatest way to put pipework onto the opposite side of the cabin without going under the floor or creating a 'step' at floor level etc?

you can't have it both ways. Can you?

possibly case it inside a raised threshhold across the bottom of a door in a bulkhead?

Edited by chris polley