Marple Lock 7

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

For those who may have wondered what the problem is... photos taken this morning 20231010_114559.thumb.jpg.ac7eb453ca53b2c71d493f726f9274af.jpg20231010_114709.thumb.jpg.62b9f62c56d08fe5e40ce49ff690036a.jpg

Big holes and distinct bend in the lock wall. 

CRT are currently working on lock 9, I don't know whether that has a similar issue but if so it's not as pronounced. 

Problem is these locks are all about the same age, and lock 7 is the third to fail, so they're going rather like light bulbs around the house. CRT are going to be busy for years...

16 minutes ago, Lady M said:

Are these lock failures associated with being left empty for extended periods of time due to flight opening restrictions?

No logical reason why they should be - for one, it's "only" the third to fail and the first one didn't follow such a period, for another they go weeks at a time unused in winter anyway. They have always had an issue with cavities behind the walls even before restoration in the 1970s (again they were unused for years then) and it maybe that particular pigeon has come home to roost

I remember using the Marple flight in the '70s and '80s; there were always trickles of water running out of the stonework onto the towpath when the locks were full.

The job creation scheme did a lot of work down there at the time but it was mainly cosmetic. They paved the lock sides near the horse tunnel bridge under the road and within weeks all the stone flags were pinched.

I doubt grouting with polyfoam did much for the long term viability of the stone work, very stopgap work.

Edited by Tracy D'arth