Replacement for Johnson WPS 5.2 pressure pump

Featured Posts

We have a Johnson WPS 5.2 water pump on our boat which has, up until recently, served us well. Unfortunately it seems to have developed an internal leak on the low pressure side. My original plan was to get a second identical pump and try to fix the leaking one to act as a spare (I suspect that one of the gaskets needs renewing).

As far as I can see though, the availability of these pumps in the UK isn't all that good. They certainly don't seem to be stocked by many chandlers (ASAP have

the 24V version but not the 12V in stock, the 12V being on a five week lead time by the look of it). There are a few on eBay but in at least one case the photos

supplied make me suspicious that the pump in question also has an internal leak.

Taking a look at alternatives, one of the Jabsco pumps seems like a good option in terms of common availability at least. The Par-Max HD4  looks like the most obvious direct replacement as it is also a 12V, 40PSI pump. However, the delivery rate is 15LPM whereas the WPS 5.2 seems to be rated at 20LPM. I can't really

see that reduction being an issue in practice....

So, any opinions on the best option to replace the WPS 5.2 with?

I got mine from Aquafax.  They seem from their website to still have them.

If you look for the deck wash version it comes sans pressure switch so is cheaper and you can fit a Square D adjustable  pressure switch to have a better set up.

N

You could get the 24v version and run it through a step up converter.

Thats what I did when I accidentally bought a 24v pump. 

This converter is the one I use. It does the job no problems. About £20. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384054938998

12v to 24v 10a 240w. 

Thanks both, I did find Aquafax but for some reason I thought that they were trade-only. Fitting an external pressure switch to the deck-wash pump is a cunning idea. Step-up is an interesting option as well.