Americans on Holiday, An Introduction

Frankgh

Featured Posts

When we retire in a few years we would love to live aboard for at least a year but I can’t figure out how to get a visa longer than 6 months. Some places you can leave the country for one day and reset your visa but alas, the UK seems not to permit that. 

On 19/08/2023 at 22:15, Frankgh said:

I did look at long term leases but I dare say it would be economically viable to purchase a boat and then sell it after the visa expires. 

I would view both the buying and the purchasing processes as potential nightmares.  Both are hard to do without plenty of time (though you can be lucky), particularly if you have no experience of doing them.  Unless of course you have pots of money.

I wouldn’t consider it for less than a year so unless I can find a sponsor I guess the point is moot. I suppose I could find a US government job at Mildenhall but that would cut into cruising time. As far as bags of money; I would think using a reliable broker and the right boat, if I lost 10k in the sale after a year, it would be cheaper than renting, no?

• Greenie 1