Smartguage and Smartbank Advance error E11

Theo

Featured Posts

Hi all

I fitted Gibbos kit in 2007 and it's worked really well ever since but I am getting an E11 fault now.  In the manual it says "Smartbank, (...) has attempted to operate the split charge relay but Smartguage is measuring different voltages on the 2 batteries.  This would indicate a faulty relay or faulty relay wiring.  In either case split charging is probably not taking place."

I have not yet done an inspection but I would start by having a look to set if the relay contacts are closing when the SG says "con" then measuring the voltage drop across the relay contacts.

Any other thoughts?

Nick

Edited by Theo
spling

My Smartgauge (also purchased from Gibbo in 2007 or thereabouts) expired last year and I replaced it. It had been displaying similar error messages.

I have had no problems with the replacement.

I think that after suffering from 15 years in the engine room it is possible that one of the soldered connections or some other internal component failed.

3 hours ago, Theo said:

I have not yet done an inspection but I would start by having a look to set if the relay contacts are closing when the SG says "con" then measuring the voltage drop across the relay contacts.

Any other thoughts?

You can force the relay to pull in by holding down the left hand button (Volts) for a few seconds. This allows the system to be checked when battery conditions such that the system would not normally join the battery banks.

Check you get a voltage across the relay (contactor) coil. If nothing at the coil, check at the output of the smartbank module.

If the above are OK check that the coil of the contactor is not open circuit by measuring its resistance. 

The relay contacts were closed when we arrived at the mooring this evening.  I turned the engine off and checked the resistance across the terminals.  I measured it at 0.6 Ohms.  At, say 30A, that would give 5V drop.  Would that be enough to casue the error?

I think the next thing I will do is to check the pd between the +ve engine battery and the +ve domestic when the alternator is giving a good output in the morning.  That's where the sensing leads are connected and should give an indication of the whole run of cable.  I suspect that cleaning the relay cpntacts would do no harm.

Thanks for the advice chaps.  Ill keep you posted.

Nick

Latest bulletin:

Still connected 5 hours after mooring up.  SoC reading 99%  voltages on domestics and engine equal within the limitations of the SG.  It really looks as if there is resistance that should not be there and I still think it's most likely to be the relay contacts.  But you never know...

Nick

Edited by Theo

26 minutes ago, Theo said:

The relay contacts were closed when we arrived at the mooring this evening.  I turned the engine off and hecked the resistance across the terminals.  I measured it at 0.6 Ohms.  At, say 30A, that would give 5V drop.  Would that be enough to casue the error?

I think the next thing I will do is to check the pd between the +ve engine battery and the +ve domestic when the alternator is giving a good output in the morning. 

A volt drop of 5V would easily initiate the error code, I suspect it comes on at a  fraction of a volt. Similarly 0.6 Ohms is too much.

Whilst you measured with the engine off, I assume the batteries were still connected to the relay? If so an ohmmeter may well give an erroneous reading.

I suggest you disconnect one of the large wires from the relay and then measure the resistance across the contacts. If needs be, operate the emergency function on the Smartguage to close the relay. You should take into account the resistance of the meter leads (take a measurement with the probes connected together) as the lead resistance may well be significant.

Once you have done this I suggest you reconnect the relay and check the voltage drop across the relay contacts and if practicable across the whole run from battery to battery to see if its a poor connection.

As you say clean the relay contacts (IIRC silver on top of copper).  Use a very fine abrasive. Also check all the connections are clean and tight.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that Mr Jones.  All good advice which I will follow later.  Here are some more readings.

1. Engine running.  Alternator delivering about 40A.  PD between engine battery +ve and Domestic bank +ve (as measured at the terminals where the sensing wires are connected ) is about 150mV.  Battery voltages as measured by the SG 13.2V and 13.5V.  No error showing
  2. Engine running at full temp after about 1.5 hrs cruising.  E11 showing and SG battery voltages 14.1V on the domestics and 13.3V on the engine.  This, to me indicates a high resistance somewhere in the engine battery circuit.

I had a brief problem with the engine battery master switch recently which I fixed by swithchin on and off several times.  I think that might be the problem.

I'll investigate further.

Thanks for the advice that's coming in.  It always helps to write about the problem.  It helps to clear things in my mind.

Nick

Edited by Theo

1 hour ago, Theo said:

I had a brief problem with the engine battery master switch recently which I fixed by swithchin on and off several times.  I think that might be the problem.

The master switch could well be the problem if the SmartBank connects downstream from it (and it should).

Either measure the voltage across the master switch or connect across it, e.g with a jump lead if you have a set (only need one lead)

The split charge relay is downstream from the master switch but the sensing leads are connected directly to the batteries as per the instructions.

N

Quoting from my earlier post:

Engine running at full temp after about 1.5 hrs cruising.  E11 showing and SG battery voltages 14.1V on the domestics and 13.3V on the engine.  This, to me indicates a high resistance somewhere in the engine battery circuit.

I guess that the master switch is being affected by the temperature in the engine hole.