Advice for fitting new exterior weather strip

Featured Posts

Dutch cruiser with teak ? Pin hinged glazed door . Will cut out rotten timber and patch in new mahogany/ walnut . It would appear the damage has been caused by rain not shedding from door bottom and being sucked up into the bottom stiles and rail.

think it best to fit a weather strip to deflect water so any recommendations please?

cheers Andy 

If you want it to look neat and in scale, then I think you may need to have one made up of similar wood to the patching wood. I used a scrap bit of Meranti strip and routed the edges to form the two radiuses to direct water over the strip and the other opposite one to stop it running back up onto the door.

• Happy 1

I also wonder if there is an upstand behind the door. There was on my boat and for some reason water collected on it and soaked the bottom of the door. I machined a couple of sloping grooves in the cill to allow the water to drain away.

• Happy 1

Thanks Tony for your reply and no there is nothing like that and there appears there has never been anything. Essentially the door bottom has a slight chamfer but once I have repaired it it seems wise to fit some type of weather bar / strip  . It could be a hardwood or I am minded towards aluminium screwed and sealed 

My front doors are chamfered as is the step and I have no drip bar, I found that the water ran down the door and then wicked up the chamfer, it didn't get into the boat but made the wood swell and door stick. I have increased the gap slightly under the door.

• Happy 1