Selwyn Jordan windlesses

Muddy Waters

Featured Posts

I have a pair of Selwyn's bronze windlasses (with the arrows) which I bought new for around £8.50 for the last one which would have been in the very early 1980s.

I know that there have been lots of threads around the cost etc of windlasses going back years but after seeing one of  Selwyn's windlasses hanging up in a shop and was told it was from the 1950s whereas I thought they were more likely from the late '70s.

My question is when are they from?

Also when were the Neals made and for that matter the Cookes? 

Edited by Muddy Waters
spelling

Hi Muddy

I’d go with your 70s dates for the Jordan windlasses. If I recall correctly he was based in the yard at the top of the 21 in Wolverhampton.  I can’t help with actual dates for Neal and Cooke windlasses but I acquired both of mine in the 60s, the Neal having been under water for some time judging by the pitting on it. Cliff Sherwood who lives in the cottage by Greensforge lock on the Staffs and Worcs may well be able to help. Harry Neal was based on the BCN at Smethwick while the Cooke windlasses were forged at Wheelock on the T&M. I’ll try and speak with Cliff soon and see what he says

Some windlasses with Cooke on them may have been made more recently I believe. I think that the Boatmans cabin company  had some made, at least I have one that is fairly small around 1/2 or 4" scale and the suggestion is that it was made/ commissioned by Laurence Hoggs company .

I hope that someone/ David S can write up the history they know of these.