Engine cooling

Rufus1010

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Rufus1010 said:

Thanks all, I've already learned so much in a day and a half!  When the engine is out I'm going to do a partial strip to see if it's viable, if not it will be replaced. I've removed the hoses from the manifold today and there is indeed a heat exchanger core (very gunked up!)

This project will be a lengthy one but will be completed. I will undoubtedly be back with more questions, if I become a pain just say.....I won't be offended.🙂

Have you got the boat out of the water at the moment as I didn't notice any sea cocks on the cooling pipes

?

Yes the boat is on hardstanding at present and requires a lot of work before it goes anywhere near the water. I anticipate welding, shotblasting and epoxy coating of the hull, including the bottom within the next 6 weeks. Then having a fully serviceable engine will be the next priority.

More FWIW info. That manifold was made by Polar who are defunct. The rubber end caps for Polar manifolds have had quality control problems leading to failures in the past and may be still do. I understand, but don't know for sure, that Bowman end caps can be persuaded to fit and seem to be better quality. I would not fit a pressure cap of more than 6 PSI on that manifold and I think 4 PSI would be safer