What water filter do you recommend?

David J Smith

Featured Posts

On 28/08/2022 at 08:32, David john Smith said:

Good morning all from the lovely River Nene near Northampton.  I want to fit an inline domestic drinking water filter to our narrowboat Ticketyboo. Can you advice please? I've been on ebay. And the majority of replacable cartridge typy say that they "Are not bacterial" filters. Do I need that type? or not. We do put Aquatabs in the integeral tank every other fill up. So i guess this killls bacteria?? Its mainly to get rid of the tastes. And hopefully filter out anything else in the tank. Sediments etc. We had the water tank repainted with the proper black paint.( Water potable). But my wife is still a bit sceptical even after five months. I drink it. And had no problems. I'm just hoping that I can pursuade her to drink it, by fitting a filter. 

Thanks in advance. Dave and Diane.

OK, no views on "fit one/don't fit one". Boat came with filter fitted. Filtapac Econoflow F201. I change the filter each year - no particular reason, it just feels right. It's a mesh bag full of ? charcoal which jams in the housing. Feeds out through a swan-neck trigger tap over the sink.

Also have a mesh filter before the pump for the bigger lumps 🙄.

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Sounds like you're talking about a strainer rather than a drinking water filter. They're fitted upstream of the pump and their function is to protect the pump from particles from the tank so ideally you should have one. 

Yes, thanks, I was aware it wasnt a proper water filter, that was why I used the phrase 'strainer type mesh thing'.

I hadn't even considered the idea of protecting the water pump with one of those- that does sound like a worthwhile upgrade. 

I lost my sense of smell a few years ago and its not easy for me to distinguish filtered water from unfiltered, but I do remember there was an improvement when I used a filter years ago.

My current reasoning for considering a filter is that one of the pieces of 'red tape' that might be thrown on the bonfire very soon is the water quality regulations, and I am concerned that the quality of tap water could deteriorate to the point that many people will default to drinking only bottled or filtered water. 

Edited by Tony1

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Sounds like you're talking about a strainer rather than a drinking water filter. They're fitted upstream of the pump and their function is to protect the pump from particles from the tank so ideally you should have one. 

With modern pumps, it seems to me it is harder to not fit a strainer than to fit that which is supplied.