Screws for windows

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Peugeot 106 said:

Sounds good but the drill for M5 is 4.2mm. 3.2mm is for M4.

Foe this sort of job engineers supplies really are your friend as they have all the bits and bobs in one trade counter

D'oh! I looked it up too. I'll do a test.

Yes I'll check out where the nearest engineers suppliers is and use that next time. 

Hopefully next post will be look at my shiny new windows😀

Some twot fitted mine with wood screws which would have been ok if they'd used stainless, but the heads rusted so badly they couldn't be removed. Drilling / nibbling the heads off without wrecking the soft aluminium was a task. I had to make new fixing holes which was ok - the most difficult part was obtaining a c/sink bit that was wide enough for the screw heads but narrow enough to fit in the channel.

23 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Some twot fitted mine with wood screws which would have been ok if they'd used stainless, but the heads rusted so badly they couldn't be removed. Drilling / nibbling the heads off without wrecking the soft aluminium was a task. I had to make new fixing holes which was ok - the most difficult part was obtaining a c/sink bit that was wide enough for the screw heads but narrow enough to fit in the channel.

You could use a bigger drill bit to countersink although the angle isn’t quite the same it’s pretty good. Just make sure the bit doesn’t “grab” the aluminium. Or, and probably safer and better, you could use Ronaldo’s trick to reduce the diameter of the countersink bit. I’ve seen so many boats with steel or zinc plated screws used in place of stainless including a freshly painted boat........Totally irresponsible. A2 stainless screws in small sizes are still only pennies. Slow and Steady you have my sympathy.

22 minutes ago, Peugeot 106 said:

You could use a bigger drill bit to countersink although the angle isn’t quite the same it’s pretty good. Just make sure the bit doesn’t “grab” the aluminium. Or, and probably safer and better, you could use Ronaldo’s trick to reduce the diameter of the countersink bit. I’ve seen so many boats with steel or zinc plated screws used in place of stainless including a freshly painted boat........Totally irresponsible. A2 stainless screws in small sizes are still only pennies. Slow and Steady you have my sympathy.

I think a drill bit is 22 degs? And as you say - risky! Yes, I did reduce a c/sink bit dia in the end. Boat builders saving a few pounds, stainless screws are not that expensive.

I did nick a few places but the result after painting them was worth the time effort all things considered and I will be able to remove them in the future.

IMG_20191002_155325474.jpg.4dbd12d241afe71598a2718d411b6bc0.jpg

1622458568_IMG_20191003_092923618small.jpg.0a5fbcd33bf197426820a9ba8f155f4c.jpg

Edited by Slow and Steady