Beta Marine 28 starter motor removal problems

Featured Posts

these are dreadfull engines especially starter removal on the 28 hp . grab a small socket the next size down to a quarter inch you know the skinny ones get 2 extension bars push them together and tape them together ,if i remember rightly it was a 12 mm socket put that in place and tape that on the ext bar this will get behind the starter between the block .it worked for me when putting the starter back fit the bottom bolt first to hold it on place then tape the bolt onto the socket and do the top bolt .mine was on a seadog ketch working upside down what a nightmare but i managed it ok . my last boat had a 1.8 bmc thorneycroft it had none of the problems the beta has even when it was 35 yrs old . 

2 minutes ago, peter cottrill said:

these are dreadfull engines especially starter removal on the 28 hp . grab a small socket the next size down to a quarter inch you know the skinny ones get 2 extension bars push them together and tape them together ,if i remember rightly it was a 12 mm socket put that in place and tape that on the ext bar this will get behind the starter between the block .it worked for me when putting the starter back fit the bottom bolt first to hold it on place then tape the bolt onto the socket and do the top bolt .mine was on a seadog ketch working upside down what a nightmare but i managed it ok . my last boat had a 1.8 bmc thorneycroft it had none of the problems the beta has even when it was 35 yrs old . 

I think its fixed as she had an oil pipe bust last week

• Happy 1