Satellite TV problem

jenevers

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

@jenevers when it comes to coax, good old RG6 is cheap and is used everywhere and it was ok for terrestrial telly, but is not really up to the job for hd digital and satellite signals. You need a cable with a foam dielectric (it's better at stopping moisture than the plastic honeycomb type) and with copper as the main conductor, the wire mesh screen and the foil wrap. Look for WF100. Use a little silicone grease or vaseline to help keep damp out if  you make up your own F Type connectors, and be very careful that your screen and central conductor are kept separate - watch for those stray bits! YouTube will show you how to make up an F-Type effectively.

Never had an issue either at home or on the boat.

But weve only had satellite TV for 30 years so maybe there is time yet. LOL

https://sewelldirect.com/blogs/learning-center/what-is-the-difference-between-rg59-and-rg6

Edited by The Happy Nomad

5 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Never had an issue either at home or on the boat.

But weve only had satellite TV for 30 years so maybe there is time yet. LOL

https://sewelldirect.com/blogs/learning-center/what-is-the-difference-between-rg59-and-rg6

RG6 is ubiquitous and, as you have experienced, is very often quite adequate, but the OP is struggling so best to get everything as "absolutely right" as possible to bowl out all the potential problems.

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

RG6 is ubiquitous and, as you have experienced, is very often quite adequate, but the OP is struggling so best to get everything as "absolutely right" as possible to bowl out all the potential problems.

They problem appears to have been identified, ie a break in the cable, so if the OP is careful not to over stress with too tight a radius RG6 will be more than adequate. As the article I linked to shows it is more than up to the job of carrying a sat tv signal, especially with the lengths involved in a boat install.

18 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

They problem appears to have been identified, ie a break in the cable, so if the OP is careful not to over stress with too tight a radius RG6 will be more than adequate. As the article I linked to shows it is more than up to the job of carrying a sat tv signal, especially with the lengths involved in a boat install.

Your article is a sales pitch explaining the difference between RG59 and RG6. There is better stuff about, but you don't have to use it - RG6 is cheap, I'll give you that, and I did say it was quite often adequate. Yer pays yer money, yer takes yer choice... 

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

That's another sales pitch article which compares RG6 to RG59, which it is indeed superior to. The pitch would be better if he also acknowledged the existence of some higher standard (admittedly more expensive) coaxs and explained why he thought them an unnecessary extra expense in his application.

RG6 is also quite a generic label which covers a range of relatively good quality coax to some quite poor so, whilst I do agree that you may well find a perfectly adequate RG6 for some applications, others are not really up to the job.

All I'm saying is that there is something which is consistently better out there... but I'm not trying to sell it to you.  :)

5 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

That's another sales pitch article which compares RG6 to RG59, which it is indeed superior to. The pitch would be better if he also acknowledged the existence of some higher standard (admittedly more expensive) coaxs and explained why he thought them an unnecessary extra expense in his application.

RG6 is also quite a generic label which covers a range of relatively good quality coax to some quite poor so, whilst I do agree that you may well find a perfectly adequate RG6 for some applications, others are not really up to the job.

All I'm saying is that there is something which is consistently better out there... but I'm not trying to sell it to you.  :)

There are plenty of other sales pitches articles that advocate use of the more expensive types.

Just have a google.

However that vast majority of links I can find seem to advocate RG6 being perfectly OK. (But yes quality can be variable).