"L" shaped diner/sofa bed for narrowboat

Featured Posts

Hi All,

The re-appearance of this thread has reminded me to update everyone on "L Shaped" progress. (Thanks Kevin)

Completed it back in June. This is mid construction showing my chosen locker layout.

canal1

And this picture shows completion.

canal2

Converts to an extra long double bed.

I built the oak table too from some reclaimed solid oak flooring. Removable legs, £20 off ebay.

Seating side panels built from 12mm plywood which I oak veneered myself (right pain with my skills)

Solid oak edging from afore mentioned reclaimed flooring.

Seating surface from 9mm plywood and 50x25 PSE internally framed throughout.

Seating cost me around £70 in plywood and PSE and another £50 for the veneer.

Foam was £140 and the fabric about £100.

The reclaimed oak for the table and the seat edging represents about £10 worth from the reclaimed job lot I bought.

Hope this inspires someone to have a go.

Andy.

Edited by Telstar
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Farrow said:

That looks excellent... if you could download some sketch plans I'd be grateful as I am looking to replace the seating I have in my boat.

Here you are. Nothing very sophisticated, just rough sketch plans

2090739933_Setee1a.JPG.47962e73ba0feecf0ee6c1fdc8f87054.JPG

1076856413_Setee2a.JPG.4bef8aadbfd3401ae5b255c091b4e201.JPG

Setee 3.JPG

Edited by David Schweizer

Variation on a theme. Instead of desmo legs, I bought a VW campervan swing out table leg. It's L-shaped and rotates around a vertically mounted bracket in the crook of the L-shaped sofa.  The leg and table top swivel independently and a lever clamps each in position. 

I use a harp shaped mirror as a small table top now because it's all I need, but it would work with any shape (I used to use a much larger table top). It swings in and out for getting in behind it to sit down or using it at a different angle, and it's height adjustable. Or it detaches altogether and table top and leg stores under the gunnel and behind the front steps. It works well for up to 4 people, but would be less sturdy for a massive banquet. 

When a double bed, the base slides out like a drawer, supported on 2 sides by the sofa base and on the outer side by 2 fixed wooden legs attached to the sliding bed base. The table isn't part of the bed. I've included a pic of before the sliding bed base was varnished so it's easy to see how the supporting legs fit between the drawers under the sofa.  

The photo of it as a bed is from before I had the cushions covered, hence the delightful railway carriage style upholstery 😃

10309651_10152002653486261_1308756756844769724_n_zps041c8355.JPG

mms_img44260.JPG

PB_1506941235933.png

FB_IMG_1510836810464.jpg

20140518_190445_zps5feaa3ff.JPG