LPG free standing cookers.

June

Featured Posts

I have a normal 4 burner hob 2 oven freestanding gas cooker that was rejetted for LPG. It is plumbed in with a yellow LPG bayonet hose jobbie.  It is chained to the wall. It sits on a small pedastal that allows air to pass from the front to back though I'm not aware of any specified need for this.  It passes its BSS test.  It can be slid forward (with some difficulty) to decobweb the rear. 

It is a 60cm not 50 cm one and I like the extra space.  What I don't have (yet) are fiddle rails and these would have to be bespoke manufactured.  It uses 240V for ignition though I sometimes use a little propane lighter when more convenient.  It does not have a lid though this model obviously could as the mounting points are there.  I pay particular attention to the volume of ventilation when the cooker is in use and have never used all 4 hobs and 2 ovens and all my other gas appliances at the same time.

As far as I am aware, no manufacturer of fullscale ordinary domestic cookers will admit to their being usable on boats as they make sufficient money selling to the conventional domestic market without the hassle of testing and guaranteeing their use on boats.  On a boat gas cookers must be used and maintained with care.  Best is get trained to be competent to maintain them as getting suitably qualified and experienced staff in to do it is difficult (I'm told).

I leave my kettle on the stove all the time and despite various bumps and being hit at ramming speed, it has not been knocked off yet.

• Happy 1

3 hours ago, June said:

Hello all

Ive just scrapped the Thetford cooker that was on the boat when I first bought it- with the intention of replacing it with a free standing LPG (or LPG converted) cooker. However- Im now hearing such conflicting views, Im now worried that my choice (when I make one), wont pass the necessary boat safety. 
If someone out there has already fitted such a cooker that has  passed all boat safety requirements - I would appreciate some advise regarding ‘which cooker’ to aim for. Ive attached the advert for the cooker I quite like the look of. This will be a learning curve for me so please assume my knowledge in this area is minimal ?

Thanks to all for your help

Hotpoint HUG52K 50cm Black Double Oven LPG Gas Cooker

image.jpeg.2ef57c5e28fc217a9ef35c893a3f554c.jpeg

Hotpoint also do the HAG(number)(letter) cookers, assuming they're still being made. The number refers to the width in cm. They look almost identical to the one pictured. At least some of them have battery ignition not 240v, gas jets that can be changed to LPG, flame failure devices on the burners and no glass lid. Although if the cooker is positioned against a vertical bulkhead not the sloping sides of the boat, the glass lid is unlikely to be problematic from a practical point of view. Especially if you can clip it / magnet it to the wall so there's no risk of it dropping down. If in doubt, ask a BSS assessor. The HAG range also have a separate grill and oven (full size), and a sideways hinged oven door. And they are way cheaper than boat cookers. 

As a heads up, the grill can only be used when a metal plate is inserted in the slot between it and the dials - to prevent them getting hot. It's bit of a strange design.  It's not that much of a faff when you get used to it, but it does make the profile of the cooker deeper until you take it back off again. It stores in the grill space when not in use.

25 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

Hotpoint also do the HAG(number)(letter) cookers, assuming they're still being made. The number refers to the width in cm. They look almost identical to the one pictured. At least some of them have battery ignition not 240v, gas jets that can be changed to LPG, flame failure devices on the burners and no glass lid. Although if the cooker is positioned against a vertical bulkhead not the sloping sides of the boat, the glass lid is unlikely to be problematic from a practical point of view. Especially if you can clip it / magnet it to the wall so there's no risk of it dropping down. If in doubt, ask a BSS assessor. The HAG range also have a separate grill and oven (full size), and a sideways hinged oven door. And they are way cheaper than boat cookers. 

As a heads up, the grill can only be used when a metal plate is inserted in the slot between it and the dials - to prevent them getting hot. It's bit of a strange design.  It's not that much of a faff when you get used to it, but it does make the profile of the cooker deeper until you take it back off again. It stores in the grill space when not in use.

Thanks BSP ?

Good to hear from you too...its been a while x hope you are well ?