How to safely connect my batteries for new 24v inverter

MarkH2159

Featured Posts

I have 4 x 110 Ah Lead Acid domestic batteries which are wired in parallel through an isolator switch.

They are charged by a 70 Ah alternator and the boat has an Adverc charge management monitor fitted.

The battery bank supplies 12v to the boat domestic systems.

They are also connected at 12v to a Stirling Marine Combi Inverter Charger giving 240v 1600w from batteries or 12v 65A battery charging when on shoreline.

I am considering changing to a hybrid inverter which is rated at 240v 2400w from 24v with 50A solar mppt input and 40A battery charging capability.

Question is - How do I connect the four batteries to provide a balanced 24v to/from the new inverter charger and also keep the 12v systems, alternator, adverc, etc balanced across all batteries and with the correct isolation switches?

Thanks in advance.

You can’t easily do that. The inverter has to be fed from batteries in a 24v configuration. That means you can’t connect a 12v alternator to them. You would have to replace the alternator with a 24v version. Slightly easier to supply 12v boat systems from 24v via a dc to dc converter.

But surely it would be vastly simpler, easier and cheaper to fit a 12v hybrid inverter?

• Greenie 2