Lithium batteries

fudd

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

If you are asking this question then you have not done enough research!!!!

See MP's comment below - and read these 2 sites. That was my first port of call before then pestering MP for all his knowledge!

If you do that then you will not be following the majority on here and installing 2nd hand batteries. The professionals will not sanction 2nd hand. The peeps on here know far more about our lithium systems than the professionals. Professionals will guide you on what and how to install a commercial system which will be fit for use by  person getting it installed. The problem with 2nd hand systems is that they are not plug and play or idiot proof as the commercial systems are (at four times the cost!). The liability issue for a professional giving advice is a significant problem.

It is very possible to instal a very safe system using LiFePO4s if you know what you are doing. Similarly it is very easy to instal a dangerous system if you dont know what you are doing. Spend time doing your research. Read ALL the Li threads  here (posted in the last 2 years) and then come back and ask the question (along with the marinehowto and nordkyn sites).

Good words Bob, when I first declared I was going LifePo4s route I had a lot of negative comments from here, fortunately they were wrong, I read up on the internet and listened to James who was already a year ahead of myself. Now a long way down the road more of us have gone the same way and the mantra of 20 - 80% is mostly used. This year has been a very grey year for me ,from October onwards its been overcast warm and wet, not ideal solar conditions at all. I can also say that 13.1 to 13.9 volts is where most of the energy in a LifePo4 lives once you drop to 12.8 their is nothing there, which is of course when a LA is really classed as being fully charged. I could not go back to LAs just to slow to charge and to fragile for myself, getting to 100% once a week uses a huge amount of energy that isn't needed for LifePo4s 

• Greenie 2

41 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Good words Bob, when I first declared I was going LifePo4s route I had a lot of negative comments from here, fortunately they were wrong, I read up on the internet and listened to James who was already a year ahead of myself. Now a long way down the road more of us have gone the same way and the mantra of 20 - 80% is mostly used. This year has been a very grey year for me ,from October onwards its been overcast warm and wet, not ideal solar conditions at all. I can also say that 13.1 to 13.9 volts is where most of the energy in a LifePo4 lives once you drop to 12.8 their is nothing there, which is of course when a LA is really classed as being fully charged. I could not go back to LAs just to slow to charge and to fragile for myself, getting to 100% once a week uses a huge amount of energy that isn't needed for LifePo4s 

Well said. Spot on!