Is there traditionally a Spring/Summer boom in boat sales?

manicpb

Featured Posts

If anyone has followed any of my posts they'll know I'm a relatively new boater. It's become apparent that this new found pleasure is going to be short lived due to changes in my personal circumstances. Now I don't urgently need to sell up and ideally I'd keep using it as a second home near to my work (I live aboard 4-5 days a week) before having a final cruise in the spring and putting it on the market.

My question is...is their a traditional sales boom in the spring/summer? With the current high demand in boats would I be a fool to sit on it and miss out on a premium sale?

53 minutes ago, manicpb said:

My question is...is their a traditional sales boom in the spring/summer? With the current high demand in boats would I be a fool to sit on it and miss out on a premium sale?

There are certainly more people 'looking' at boats in the better weather (its a cheap day out for the family) but in reality I don't think there is actually much difference in actual numbers of boat sales, having said that, the deepest depths of Winter (Jan/Feb) will discourage all but the commited).

I advertised a boat the week before Christmas, a young couple came to look at it, said 'yes' and the day after Boxing day they were on their way to London with it.

A forecast :

Boat sales / demand / prices will continue to rise well into next Summer (at least) as C19 affects all our lives making international travel, staying in big hotels etc unwelcome. More folk will want a way of 'escape' that puts them at minimum risk.

A well maintained, competitively & realistically priced boat will sell within a couple of days, this year and next year.

• Greenie 1

From past conversations with the broker at our marina it is usual for  boat sales to be dead in December and start to pick up when the sun shines again around Easter .

But its not ''usual'' at the moment .

No one can say what the situation will be in the spring.

I expect the present lockdown may have put a damper on boat sales in November .

• Greenie 1

Thanks both for the opinions. I never bought to profit out of the boat but obviously money does have an influence. I sadistically want to see what a winter is like onboard so my heart is on keeping it and if I do get the usage there's a possibility I can hold on to it indefinitely. However my hands been slightly forced into bricks and mortar and I'm not sure I've enough time for home life, boat life and a work life.

I understand like every investment no one can predict the future, but I'd be interested in others opinions!

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As I used to have typed on the bottom of my budgets presented to the board :

"Past results are no guarantee of future perfomance"

At least with the boat I don't need to worry about the line...

"If you do not keep up repayments you risk repossession of your home"

Which I can't say about the house I'm about to take on! 

• Greenie 1

The narrowboat market is so crazy at the moment, I don’t think it matters when you sell. 

I’m sure there will be a lull with lockdown/christmas looming, but at this moment in time that means instead of 10 potential buyers for every boat on the market, there will be 7 potential buyers per boat!  

• Greenie 1