Painting my boat

nb Stockton

Featured Posts

Hi everyone.

I am starting to repaint my boat as it has been looking really scrappy on top. It has a GRP top (harborough Marine).

Got a 'man who does' down for a day earlier in the week and he sanded down all the loose paint and painted primer onto the patches where the paint had come right off and bear fibreglasss was showing. He then painted undercoat over the top. Looks much better now.

Unfortunately, where the paint has come of and revealed the fibreglass, there is now a fairly obvious drop in level (0.5mm or so) and also the surface has a neat criss cross effect on it. Is there anything I can do to help remove this problem. Options I can see are

1. Filler

2. Paint on the top coat very thick where needed

3. Start over again and take all the pain off first

Any thoughts from you experienced people? I like option 2 best!

All the best

Richard

Some of the non-slip deck paints contain grit which can hide a multitude of sins.

Have a look at International Interdeck http://marinestore.co.uk/page/mrst/PROD/in.../PLYJB000-750X/

They also do a non-slip additive but I don't know if it makes the paint as thick as Interdeck http://www.force4.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/1377

Some of the non-slip deck paints contain grit which can hide a multitude of sins.

Have a look at International Interdeck http://marinestore.co.uk/page/mrst/PROD/in.../PLYJB000-750X/

They also do a non-slip additive but I don't know if it makes the paint as thick as Interdeck http://www.force4.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/1377

Yes agree about the non-slip deck paint. Years back on old bangers we used to use stone chip sprayed on with a gun to cover a multitude of sins.

You need something thick and meaty that will give you an even coating. Trowel the bloody stuff on if you have to ;)

You need something thick and meaty that will give you an even coating. Trowel the bloody stuff on if you have to ;)

Better to build up several thin coats. I once painted some deck paint on too thickly. It skinned over fairly quickly but weeks later it still wasn't dry underneath. The solvents have to be able to evaporate and if it's painted on too thick they can't escape.

Edited by blackrose

• 4 weeks later...

I successfully used fibreglass gelcoat on those areas that were really chronic. I didn't know if it would work or not. I painted over with primer and then applied two coats of brightside. The big enemy was the rain. Thus far I've had no problems with the brightside.

Hi everyone.

I am starting to repaint my boat as it has been looking really scrappy on top. It has a GRP top (harborough Marine).

Got a 'man who does' down for a day earlier in the week and he sanded down all the loose paint and painted primer onto the patches where the paint had come right off and bear fibreglasss was showing. He then painted undercoat over the top. Looks much better now.

Unfortunately, where the paint has come of and revealed the fibreglass, there is now a fairly obvious drop in level (0.5mm or so) and also the surface has a neat criss cross effect on it. Is there anything I can do to help remove this problem. Options I can see are

1. Filler

All the best

Richard

If you want the boat to look good when you have finished you have to start with a good surface. Are these boats finished in gelcoat? If so then you need to cut back the gelcoat and replace it. This can be done in patches unlike paint but will need you to do a lot of cutting back with very fine grades of wet and dry and a polish such as T cut to finish off. If painted then suggest you use gelcost to build up to a level surface and then paint using a good paint made for glass fibre.

Whatever you do to look good will take a lot of work, you can't fill with paint whetherit has an added filler such as a none slip finish or not. (apologies for possibly being rude to Maveric but, would you buy a car bodged with underseal on the sills?)

(apologies for possibly being rude to Maveric but, would you buy a car bodged with underseal on the sills?)

the use of filler on faired hulls and superstructures is not necessarily 'bodging'. It can be a highly skilled finishing trade on new boats, and if done properly with the correct materials should not be considered poor practice. For example epoxy sheathing is common (best?) practice now to provide a strong waterproof finish to plywood boats. It might be worth checking out West Systems who probably have a suitable product for the purpose.

It sound to me that the finish on these harborough marine tops is the fibreglass mat showing through, this is the criss cross pattern no gelcoat, is there a gelcoat on the underside ie nice and smooth inside the cabin?

The best solution is an epoxy filler, as suggested, which can be sanded down. Make sure the fibreglass is clean, down to the matt, no paint, dust free and wiped with acetone before applying the filler. If it is gelcoat be very careful if you try and dig out any gelcoat as you might rip a hole through the matt!

Gelcoat can be used but is bloody hard work to rub down and without the use of additives or adding resin to the gelcoat will remain tacky.

Edited by wonderdust

Hi everyone.

1. Filler

All the best

Richard

Whatever you use, including Anti-slip deck paint , and Craftmaster also make one incidentally in ANY colour ( ya boo sucks ), layered on in several coats won`t actually fill the level up before you reach the point where you have too much paint on ( yes you can have too much and it can cause problems later). The same applies to a succession of "thick" coats of anything else. Thick coats tend to surface dry leaving the paint beneath soft and full of solvent which can then only evaporate by blistering the finish.An appropriate filler would do it rather better as would a gradual buid up of undercoats flatted down once the

patches wee proud of the surrounding area - probably thebest option , certainly the one I would use.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Speight