PRM 120 from technodrive gearbox swap

Featured Posts

If you are going to change the gearbox then you might as well go for a PRM 150.  Which Vetus engine?  I've swapped a Technodrive 60 for a PRM 150 which is easy enough. A few mm difference in length and drop but easy enough to accommodate.  I could let you have a copy of a WW article I wrote about it at the time if it is of any help.

As above, go for the 150 if you can, but note that it needs a proper cooling circuit.  I did spend a long time thinking about replacing with a 120 or another Technodrive, but am very glad I went for the 150.

I replaced a Technodrive TMC60 on my Vetus M4.17 with a PRM 150 last year, and it is much, much nicer to use (and all the problems with loosening coupling bolts have gone away).

It was a a tricky job on my boat as I had to lower the bilge divider/bulkhead (the PRM is deeper than the Technodrive), but still not too bad.  My boat is fresh water cooled so that made the cooling circuit easy to arrange (gearbox goes before the manifold heat exchanger).

Thank you both for your replies. Unfortunately I can’t currently afford a new PRM 150 box much as I’d like to. Due to the virus

I’ve been offered a new refurb 120 (with guarantee) for less than a third of the price. This will do as an interim measure as long as the exchange is simple(ish)

The engine is a Vetus M4.15 with 700 hours on it, installation time wise it is well out of warranty. Long term I’d look to upgrade so wish not to jeopardise this option.

Dor i would be very interested in your article for further reference.

55 minutes ago, Proteus said:

Thank you both for your replies. Unfortunately I can’t currently afford a new PRM 150 box much as I’d like to. Due to the virus

I’ve been offered a new refurb 120 (with guarantee) for less than a third of the price. This will do as an interim measure as long as the exchange is simple(ish)

The engine is a Vetus M4.15 with 700 hours on it, installation time wise it is well out of warranty. Long term I’d look to upgrade so wish not to jeopardise this option.

Dor i would be very interested in your article for further reference.

You need more posts to use the PM system.  5 or 10.  I'll send it then.  You could check with PRM whether the 120 has the same fitting as the Technodrive or 150.  It probably is as I am sure people have replaced their 120 with a 150 for example.

Edited by dor