Contents insurance

CLAN1

Featured Posts

Has anyone got separate content insurance on their narrow boat. I know can get it included in boat insurance, i know don't get cheap boat insurance, i know you get what you pay for, lets not get into any of that, been quoted £100 for add on contents up to 5000 cover. Cheers

10 hours ago, CLAN1 said:

Has anyone got separate content insurance on their narrow boat. I know can get it included in boat insurance, i know don't get cheap boat insurance, i know you get what you pay for, lets not get into any of that, been quoted £100 for add on contents up to 5000 cover. Cheers

My boat is not a narrowboat which may be relevant as I am insured for inland plus sea trips including the near European coast and waterways.

I have decided the value of personal items aboard  is not great and not worth insuring .

The  furniture ,seating , beds and table , fridge, oven and hob are fitted so not ''contents''. A couple of nice camping chairs  and folding bikes might fall under the definition of 'contents'. 

I do include the dinghy and outboard as insured items despite being not particularly high value as  it provides 3rd party cover when using the dinghy.

If I did want cover for equipment and personal effects  it could be added to my all risks cover at a rate  that works out at about £5.50 per £1000.   £100 excess .  I imagine a narrowboat insured for UK the inland waterways only would be at a lower rate per £1000 ?

13 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

My GJW narrowboat and barge policy includes a reasonable amount of contents. It’s definitely £3000, and might be £5000 or more.

I pay about £135 for hull value £26,000 plus whatever the contents amount is.

Hi who long/age of your boat, got fed up with GJW don't seem to know what they doing, even said i will need an on the water full survey to include mast, sails,rigging, etc, for a 48ft 1991 narrow boat.wouldn't accept my survey done 2014 asking for bss decided not to bother with them. Wanted £161 with no contents cover, 

2 hours ago, CLAN1 said:

Hi who long/age of your boat, got fed up with GJW don't seem to know what they doing, even said i will need an on the water full survey to include mast, sails,rigging, etc, for a 48ft 1991 narrow boat.wouldn't accept my survey done 2014 asking for bss decided not to bother with them. Wanted £161 with no contents cover, 

45ft. Built 2000. Value £26,000, contents £3000, although i think the policy covers more. I think I started insuring with them in 2014 and they were happy with my 2011 survey. They haven't asked for another since. 

I called to negotiate the renewal a few years ago, and it was they who suggested I switch to the Narrowboat and Barge policy as it was cheaper than the policy I had, and covered more risks.