Land Line Basic requirements

5thHorseman

Featured Posts

I am considering moving my boat to a marina next year which has a moorings with a land line.

Currently I have no gizmos at all. The boat has 1x110amp starter battery and 3x110amp house batteries (all new this year).

I have two 230v plugs with wire runs to an (almost empty) cupboard in the back of the boat and that is it

I do not have any 230v equipment on the boat nor do I at this stage intend to add any.

All I basically want to do is:-

a ) Ensure the batteries to be kept in good condition

b ) To be able to use power tools for certain jobs

c ) put something like a greenhouse heater in the boat over winter to keep the boat aired.

d ) be able perhaps to add 230v equipment in the future as a bolt on. i.e. I do not want to have to throw away the equipment that is installed on this project to move on.

e ) I do not want the boat to explode, implode, glow in the dark, kill my friends, relatives and the people around me or the bottom drop out :cheers:

so and a big SO keeping it simple please - what do I need to do and what do I need to install to achieve this modest aim?

edit:- cap b with a bracket produced a smiley

Edited by 5thHorseman

I could tell you in detail, but if you haven't researched the subject which is covered in numerous books and on tony brooks' site, then that suggests that you are probably not competent to install a mains circuit. Then you must employ a marine electrician who will know exaclty what you need.

There are clear rules that apply to even the simplest installation. Please read up on the subject before doing anything yourself, or before asking a landlubber electrician to do any work on the boat.

Unfortunately the BSS is very short on information. But there are many books from about £10 up that will guide you. Try a search on Amazon.

Probably the most dangerous thing (that most of us are guilty of at some time or other) is to run a cable from the shore pillar onto the boat as an 'extension lead'.

Edited by chris polley

If you want the basic legal stuff to get the AC onto the boat this kit HERE will do it. (Forum members get 10% off most things if they register.)

You could probably do it cheaper buying the bits individually but that kit makes life simple.

What you plug into is dictated by what the shore side power can supply but usually you will be fine for most chargers and a small heater.

If you don't feel confident then don't get involved, find someone to do it for you who understands boat electrics not just household electrics.

:cheers:

I could tell you in detail, but

"I am not going to" :D

I have tasted the unpleasant effects of 230v 13amps so, rewire a plug - yes, put up a light fitting - yes, rewire the house - GALMI (get a little man in)

Sorry, maybe I did not make it clear, I know nothing about this and did not realise that I had to be an expert on the subject before getting someone to do it. Yes I am totally incompetent to install a mains supply and accept that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing because I might become tempted to try. :cheers:

The info I was looking for from people who have a land line was their experiences, what equipment have you had installed, are there any pitfalls, where and who do you get to fit it (there are no marine electricians advertising in our yellow pages), would I be better raising the spec because it would produce a benefit I have not thought of or may well want to use in the future, is it worth bothering with atall

So that if my marine electrician (when I find him) tells me I need a hypersonic galvochloronating widget sprod for £10,000 I can determine if he is bending the truth somewhat.

When asking this sort of question in my local I must admit I have never got the reply "go read a book"

It was the explanation, if possible, I wanted kept simple, the equipment I want right and safe for the job.

I would use the tb-training site as a free guide for deciding what you want. But a brief list for starters:

- waterproof inlet plug (often incorrectly described as a socket). Most such plugs that you buy at the swindlers are intended for caravans, to be located in a weatherproof locker, and are not safe because they collect water where you don't want it (unless you provide weather protection).

- arguably some form of isolation in the shore earth (galvanic isolator) or a full isolating transformer.

- double pole isolating breaker switch on the mains incomer with 30mA RCD.

- ideally an AC panel with separate breakers for each circuit and a polarity indicator.

- all earth wires and metal objects and appliances bonded together and to the hull at one point close to but not on the same stud as the 12V battery negative connection.

- all cabling in arctic cable (like extension lead flex) kept separate from any DC wiring.

- OH, and you want a charger for your batteries. Multiple choice from a £35 halfords automatic cycling jobbie plugged into a socket up to a sky's the limit piece of kit.

PS why are they always 'little men'?

PPS if you PM me I may be able to give you some guidance on how to get the content of the relevant ISO standard.

Edited by chris polley

Have a look at the parallel thread A simple mains installation and other past threads.

- But as ive just said in the other thread, you basicaly looking at.

Blue 16amp wall mounted plug (not socket)

Short lenght of 16amp+ cable

Small garage-type consumer unit

- Containing an RCD/MCBO, followed by one or more MCBs.

Ring main or 16amp spur with a number of sockets

Then a proper mains charger running off the ring main, or a dedicated spur.

Sounds like you should get a bloke in, or a knowlagble freind, but its a days work if some priliminary wire pulling as been done before hand.

Daniel