Looking for a Cure

Jason Wilson and Family

Featured Posts

A bacon cure that is. Being stranded as I am in the land of yankees, I miss me bacon. I can find rashers in the British import shops but it is stupidly expensive. No one here seems to produce loin bacon. I can get the meat and cut it myself but I dont know how to make a good bacon cure. Anyone have an idea of the cure and the process for curing bacon?

This will be perfect for you Huge Fernley-Whittingstall's Bacon Cure

Tried that recipe with a whole belly - found it ever so salty and resultant bacon only good for using in recipes as one of the ingredients. Next time (this time of year is ideal as at the end of the process best to wash and air dry by hanging outside) i'll be looking for a wet cure recipe which will result in less salty bacon.

Think the same cure would wok for back bacon? Or would the amounts change?

Dunno - but I do know you need to be very careful that the cure gets right through, and back is thicker of course.

There are numerous books on the subject, and my understanding is that you are better served with availability of curing ingredients in the States as in some parts it's still the thing to cure your home reared hog yourself.

Well Jason, being a veggie I suppose I shouldn't really comment but my OH is a carnivore so I do have some experience.

The thing is, bacon you buy in British supermarkets is - in my opinion - full of water and preservatives. It might be fairly cheap but you get what you pay for.

However, my OH buys from a local shop where the pigs are treated well and the bacon cured traditionally - the difference is just amazing. Instead of shrinking when cooked, it seems to increase in size and apparently tastes fantastic. It's worth paying that bit extra.

Hope you have success in your search.

• 1 year later...
This wet cure Here Linky looks very similar to the wet cure in HF-W's books.

Jason wilson this is for you:

Part of my business is curing and smoking of organic gloucester old spot pigs. if you want a good cure e-mail me and i will try and help. Else i could ship you some of my oak smoked organic bacon in one piece.

Tedlet

Hi

Don't do HFW since I saw him doing a carp recipe - been carp fishing person for 35 years.

Don't know if any of this lot will help but must try to help Brits abroad!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

http://www.thepigsite.com/recipes/94/home-...r-a-mild-flavor

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/artic...acon/drycuring/

And if you don't want the hassle of making the cure yourself -

http://www.sausagemaking.org/acatalog/bacon_cures.html

Jason wilson this is for you:

Part of my business is curing and smoking of organic gloucester old spot pigs. if you want a good cure e-mail me and i will try and help. Else i could ship you some of my oak smoked organic bacon in one piece.

Tedlet

It will take some coaxing of the other half but I may just have to take you up on that at sme point.

• 2 months later...