Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Pluto

Site of proposed canal - but where?

Featured Posts

I took these photos last weekend of the route of a proposed canal. The first shows the location of one terminus. Some of the coal mines which the canal was to serve were a few hundred yards beyond the railway viaduct. The second photo shows the river which the canal would have joined, the junction being where a stream entered the river near the caravan site in the distance, just visible on the right. I haven't found anything about how the river was to be made navigable. There was a third terminus for the canal, which would have been with another unbuilt canal.

Where was I?

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

Correct, and this is the 1780 map of the proposed canal near Ingleton. The other end was to finish at Settle, possibly connecting to the Settle Canal and thence to the L&LC.

1780 Settle-Ingleton Canal map MS1186 YAS.jpg

They were to the south of the A65, the last one closing in the 1930s. Check for Ingleton Coalfield on Google and a number of interesting pages turn up.