looking to buy a lock cottage

crosser

Featured Posts

hi all, just want to know if anyone knows of a lock cottage for sale, not fussed where in the country as long as its rural, we just missed the one at somerton deep lock at it sold for a bargain... just typical... if anyone know of one please let me know....

thanks

dave and mandy

hi all, just want to know if anyone knows of a lock cottage for sale, not fussed where in the country as long as its rural, we just missed the one at somerton deep lock at it sold for a bargain... just typical... if anyone know of one please let me know....

thanks

dave and mandy

when you say bargain, how much??

Here's a couple i have bookmarked, looks like they're still available.

Are you just looking for canalside or with a mooring included?

I've found that due to having the lock they tend to come without moorings!

Grade II - Originally, a canal directors house on Wiltshire Berkshire Canal:

http://www.halifaxhomefinder.co.uk/HxHfDet...ref=02059881000

Lock keepers cottage in a canal side location in Saltley, Birmingham

http://www.dixonsestateagents.co.uk/proper...0173-1184155210

thanks for that scotty... the one in brum looks interesting... does anyone know this area at all?the one in somerton went for £213,000 but had no road access.. half mile walk to get there and also no mains power or sewerage... but for oxfordshire it was a bargain....doesnt have to have a mooring ... canalside would do so doesnt have to be a lock cottage

We're not looking into buying a lock side cottage but the ones we've seen for sale, we've taken an interest in, although we haven't actually viewed the inside or gone down that road. We've only looked on from outside whilst passing.

I don't know if it's the case with every lock cottage, but I think the ones we've seen suffer from damp. Due to the way they were built, as in right next to a lock, and usually built lower than the actual water is when the lock is full, they've always problems with damp. As I say, I don't know if it's the case with every lock cottage but it' worth checking out before hand. The best of british luck in finding your ideal cottage <_<

thanks for the advice liam, damp is something we have thought about but if we can find the ideal cottage then we can live with that.... the hardest part is finding them for sale... have to look through every estate agent thats located near a canal system....

Hi Crosser,

I don't know why but I have a feeling that these sort of places won't be advertised in local estate agents. Yes okay some of them might be but I'm guessing that it's a case of getting out there in the areas you're interested in and finding out the state of the cottages. Also, having a look in the back of the canal mags for anything which catches your eye.

Are you looking into the lock cottage as a retirment home? As there's oppurtinities for people taking over businesses based on canal yards and wharfs.

Hm, edited to add... just seen this in another thread on this forum... http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...mp;#entry153204

Edited by Liam

A house a 'bargain' ..... don't think so.

Everythings' relative. The UK would be a 'bargain' for Bill Gates (ok maybe he'd have to go halves with a mate <_< ) as we are so much in debt no doubt it would be cheap.

My house was however value for money. I bought it in 1979 for £5400. Didn't so call 'move up' when they doubled in price the next year (you are moving down as your 'rent' - mortgage/rates/water rates/etc. cost much more so you have to work much longer to pay for the same things) and now my mortgage has been paid for a few years, I find I not only own my house, but..........I have been given every penny back it has cost me, plus £1000 ........hence how I can go boating, yet still remain the worst paid Englishman of anyone in my situation I have yet to meet.

One of my friends had a new bungalow built in the early 80s, and he's spent more money decorating his front room several times (not lately) than my house has cost in total.

As I've said, everything is relative.