Lancashire Canal

HYBRID

Featured Posts

Thanks for the replies. Is the Lancashire considered a proper canal or is it forgotten as it does not appear to be part of the network that I know, how is it accessed from the main system?

Also, I imagine due to the lack of locks it only appeals to a limited number of potential hirers, for me the locks are necessary to keep the other members on the boat ‘involved’ in the holiday. Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks again

Thanks for the replies. Is the Lancashire considered a proper canal or is it forgotten as it does not appear to be part of the network that I know, how is it accessed from the main system?

Also, I imagine due to the lack of locks it only appeals to a limited number of potential hirers, for me the locks are necessary to keep the other members on the boat 'involved' in the holiday. Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks again

It's the Lancaster Canal, rather than the Lancashire Canal

for many years it was isolated from the main system, but is now accessible via the Rufford Branch of the L&L and the Ribble Link

Also, I imagine due to the lack of locks it only appeals to a limited number of potential hirers, for me the locks are necessary to keep the other members on the boat ‘involved’ in the holiday. Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks again

There are 6 on the Glasson branch (effectively 12 as its a dead end so you get to turn round and go straight back) its quite a pleasant branch with a few pubs at the end and a pleasant basin, its quite near the lune/conder esturarys. There's a few at the start of the Ribble link too but I doubt you are allowed to take a hire boat on that, I hope you're not anyway.

You could have a go at the Tewitfield locks but you might have some depth issues! <_<