The BCN suggestions for a weeks trip

oasistoo

Featured Posts

Having sorted our trip from Swallow Cruisers in September! I am now looking ahead to our week at the end of October.

On this occasion SWMBO and our dogs are staying at home and a friend and possibly his son (grownup) are joining me.

We will be starting and Finishing again at Swallow Cruisers with from friday afternoon to the following thursday afternoon to play with.

I would love to explore some of the BCN. I love the rural canals but I am also fascinated by the industrial roots of the canal systems.

So as we appear to have a fair few people who know the BCN suggestions for a route, moorings and places to eat and drink would be most gratefuly received.

Thanks in advance.

Having sorted our trip from Swallow Cruisers in September! I am now looking ahead to our week at the end of October.

On this occasion SWMBO and our dogs are staying at home and a friend and possibly his son (grownup) are joining me.

We will be starting and Finishing again at Swallow Cruisers with from friday afternoon to the following thursday afternoon to play with.

I would love to explore some of the BCN. I love the rural canals but I am also fascinated by the industrial roots of the canal systems.

So as we appear to have a fair few people who know the BCN suggestions for a route, moorings and places to eat and drink would be most gratefuly received.

Thanks in advance.

Try to get uo to Anglesey Basin and the Cannock Extension possibly via Saford Junction and Perry Bar locks, Thame valley and Rushall canals.

Or go through Netherton tunnel, then Hawne Basin, Stourton Junction Aldersley JUnction and Wolverhampton 21 and back into Birmingham via the Old Main line. Enjoy the trip

Try to get uo to Anglesey Basin and the Cannock Extension possibly via Saford Junction and Perry Bar locks, Thame valley and Rushall canals.

Or go through Netherton tunnel, then Hawne Basin, Stourton Junction Aldersley JUnction and Wolverhampton 21 and back into Birmingham via the Old Main line. Enjoy the trip

If you plan to go up the Cannock Extension a nice place to stop would be at Pelsall common on the Wyrley & Essington, theres a pub here called the Fingerpost (used to be the Royal Oak) it's a really nice spot, foods pretty good.

Aye, the Cannock Extension is quite atmospheric, slightly creepy and wild looking landscape either side. You have to wind at Norton Canes Boatbuilders, but at least you get to ogle their lovely boats. (I picked mine up from there - sadly not one of theirs).

[

Thanks in advance.

I explored the northern reaches of the BCN last year and can heartily recommend it. You might get some ideas from this link

Edited by Jim

Aye, the Cannock Extension is quite atmospheric, slightly creepy and wild looking landscape either side. You have to wind at Norton Canes Boatbuilders, but at least you get to ogle their lovely boats. (I picked mine up from there - sadly not one of theirs).

The winding hole is next door at CTS, not that it really matters. I've been down there today, this stretch of canal is busier than you'd expect. Be careful if you do go down the Cannock Extension as they a building a new bridge just before Norton Canes Boatbuilders yard - just where our moorings start, so check before you go for any stopages.

Sorry about the misinformation Sarah. When I bought Mister B, the previous owner showed me how to wind opposite what I presumed was the boatyard, before we were allowed to take the boat home under our own steam. Gosh, that was a fantastic day! No wonder I have a soft spot for the Wyrley and Essington.