Kingfisher engine replacement

Luke watkins

Featured Posts

Hi all, hope I'm in the right place.

I have been given a bit of a mission by my father in law who has recently purchased a narrowboat with a broken engine.

I have a mechanical background in small plant so hopefully will be able to work something out with a bit of luck and help.

This boat had/has a kingfisher 8hp single pot engine with an unknown gearbox and a 14" rh 3 blade prop on a 1.25" shaft via a flexable coupling.

I would like to buy a second hand engine for his boat with minimal works to fit it if possible.

The boat is a 23ft so somewhere around 6tonne? At a guess.

So my question is: is there anything that would fit fairly easily into the engine bay?

Where I come unstuck is:

How to ascertain the gearbox ratio without it in front of me.

Are engine mounts universal or should adapter plates be used.

Is the crankshaft output height consistant with marine engines for narrowboats.

Will the output shaft need adapting for length to the flexible coupler.

Can this be done, if very carefully, in the water without damage to the stern gland.

Am I looking at this all wrong.

The original engine was keel cooled.

Thanks in advance. I know its a long shot and hope not to cause offence.

1 hour ago, Luke watkins said:

Hi all, hope I'm in the right place.

I have been given a bit of a mission by my father in law who has recently purchased a narrowboat with a broken engine.

I have a mechanical background in small plant so hopefully will be able to work something out with a bit of luck and help.

This boat had/has a kingfisher 8hp single pot engine with an unknown gearbox and a 14" rh 3 blade prop on a 1.25" shaft via a flexable coupling.

I would like to buy a second hand engine for his boat with minimal works to fit it if possible.

The boat is a 23ft so somewhere around 6tonne? At a guess.

So my question is: is there anything that would fit fairly easily into the engine bay?

Where I come unstuck is:

How to ascertain the gearbox ratio without it in front of me.

Divination?

Are engine mounts universal or should adapter plates be used.

A). No B) - you use adjustable flexible mounts

Is the crankshaft output height consistant with marine engines for narrowboats.

No, they vary - depending on how the final shaft is fitted - Use the mounts as above

Will the output shaft need adapting for length to the flexible coupler.

Possibly

Can this be done, if very carefully, in the water without damage to the stern gland.

Yes - done it onece

Am I looking at this all wrong.

No - you're getting there!

The original engine was keel cooled.

Thanks in advance. I know its a long shot and hope not to cause offence.

See above - somebody is sure to be along shortly to rubbish my statements, but If you buy a new (or used) Beta engine they have a selection of adaptor kits  to suit many combinations - that's assuming you get a complete engine and gearbox.

There weren't many Kingfishers sold so actual knowledge may be a bit sparse - that's why I started the ball rolling.

Usually / quite often engines are mounted on 'I beams' and fitting a complete engine is a mix of adjustable mounts and blocks. There's usually enough length in the beam to move the engine along, though in a small boat there may not be much latitude in that.

looky here - if you haven't already -

http://www.kingfisherdieselengines.uk/index.html

There are a couple on eBay for not a lot of money, which might suit - and which might save you a lot of energy in converting something else 

Edited by OldGoat