Battery/Charger Issues

Androo

Featured Posts

Hi,

I could do with some help regards a problem that has just started the other day.

I checked all my battery cells with a hydrometer and here's what came back:

Battery 1) One Red 1175

Battery 2) Two Red 1175 & 1150

All other readings were 1250 or over.

Before I used the hydrometer everything was fine charging etc but, now when I use my multistage charger (Waeco PerfectCharge IU4512 45amp and only 4 years old, eventhough it is sitting in float mode (green) it stays very warm and the fan is on a lot and the batteries have started to bubble and give off an acid smell.(NOT EGGY)

This is continuous now since using the hydrometer.

The batteries, in total 1 starter and 3 x 135a/hr leisures are 4 years old with one failing and being changed 14months ago.

Is the problem my batteries (They still give 2 days off shore power with 50% left as I never let them drop below 12.4V.)

Or is my charger faulty.

Hope I have explained enough.

Edited by Androo

Don't want to be a harbinger of doom, but assuming the problem lies in your domestic bank, it might be duff cells in the batteries. In which case, time to replace the lot, your failing battery has probably dragged the entire bank down with it. Not for definite, but likely.

Someone else a lot more knowledgeable than me will give you a more definitive answer I'm sure.

Edited by Spuds

Sounds like the batts in question are kaput and need replacing.

What voltage is the charger set to, 14.4V or 14.8V? 14.4V would be best for open/unsealed leisure batts. Also are the batts left for long periods on charge, eg shoreline?

Probably best to safely isolate or disconnect the suspect batts for now, The Battery FAQ has some good essential safety info on batteries.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

The charger is set to 14.4v

The batteries are left on charge always on shore power for long periods.

But with my charger being a multistage I presumed that when the green light is on this indicates fully charged and it just trips on to float to charge then?

Yeah it will, when all is well, but if a batt develops a shorted cell it can end up gassing like crazy and go into a kind of thermal runaway, and the heat can then damage the adjacent batts ohmy.png

So it's not good to leave the batts unattended on on a high power charge source, reducing the charger output current where poss or using a smaller charger would be a lot safer.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Yeah it will, when all is well, but if a batt develops a shorted cell it can end up gassing like crazy and go into a kind of thermal runaway, and the heat can then damage the adjacent batts ohmy.png

So it's not good to leave the batts unattended on on a high power charge source, reducing the charger output current where poss or using a smaller charger would be a lot safer.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

I've just had a friend who is a tad more savvy than me regards battery probs and he tested the 3 leisures with his multimeter and one of the 4 yr old batteries gave a reading of 10.8v.

The other 2 were OK (12.8V) I've now isolated the bad battery and now my charger seems to be running normal/cool without the fan cutting in too much and no gassy smell.

As, the batteries are now quite old I'm not going to slot another new one in just in case it gets damaged by the remaining old ones. I'll run on two leisures until I

replace the whole bank.

Pete: How can I reduce the charger output current with my existing charger of 45amps?

Androo

Pete: How can I reduce the charger output current with my existing charger of 45amps?

Androo

Looks like your charger has a 'mute' function whereby it drops the charge output current instead of turning the fan on so I'd give that a look.

Aside from that I can't really think of an easy, off the shelf, cheap way of doing it; maybe get a ~10A charger to use instead but they're not that cheap. Depends on the power needs while the boat is unattended, I s'pose...

Just a thought, next time the batts drop to 12.4V it could be worth checking the SGs just in case one batt is getting caned while the the others aren't delivering much charge, especially if they're different ages or brands. Could also happen if a batt connection is bad or the bank connections are poorly balanced.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Just a thought, next time the batts drop to 12.4V it could be worth checking the SGs just in case one batt is getting caned while the the others aren't delivering much charge, especially if they're different ages or brands. Could also happen if a batt connection is bad or the bank connections are poorly balanced.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Or they're poorly wired http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html ?

Although with only two batteries now it won't be difficult to sort

Now THAT is a brilliant link. So simple to do & the improvements look to be well worth the effort if your bank is 3 or more. I've got some battery cable work to do installing my inverter, so I'm going to be looking at this very seriously.

Thanks for posting it.

cheers.gif

I spoke too soon. The charger was still getting hot and on a lot so I checked the remaining leisures and the other 4 yr old one registered 10.4V so now I'm down to one leisure.

The charger now works perfectly as the remaining battery is still on 12.4V

Not sure if I can survive on one but, I'll give it a go.

All connections are fine and the wiring is fine also.

Edited by Androo

and sorry to say that that one may well be on its last legs, as it will have been doing all the work.

Time to raid the piggy bank if you have one.

Just been out for a couple of days sailing and the one remaining leisure battery performed OK. Almost 2 days without moving and still not below the recomended 50%

Just an hr or so tv/pc and the rest was the fridge plus pumps etc...

Not bad really as we are not huge consumers.

Just been out for a couple of days sailing and the one remaining leisure battery performed OK. Almost 2 days without moving and still not below the recomended 50%

Just an hr or so tv/pc and the rest was the fridge plus pumps etc...

Not bad really as we are not huge consumers.

If you have found that you can manage without a huge battery bank, when the time comes to buy new batteries why not just buy a couple.

People seem intent on specifying huge battery banks when they are not really necessary.

If you have found that you can manage without a huge battery bank, when the time comes to buy new batteries why not just buy a couple.

People seem intent on specifying huge battery banks when they are not really necessary.

I totally agree with you.

I think when the remaining battery fails I will just purchase two instead of three.