Window Refurbishment

Featured Posts

Hi all!

I've recently purchased a 62ft Springer, which needs a bit of work doing to it. My first project is to refurbish the windows (standard hopper-type), as they are leaking. I'm new to boating and DIY in general and am having trouble even knowing where to start. I've had a good look at the leaking windows and where the frames are attached to the hull all looks fine. However, the rubber seal between the frame and the window appears to have broken and I believe this is where the water is coming in from. On the inside of the window, another piece of rubber (a window seal? window tape?) has come loose, so I guess this needs to be replaced as well. However, I'm not sure how to do either of these things. Do I need to take the entire glass part of the window out and completely re-seal it to the frame? Is that even possible with a hopper-type window, as the hopper isn't sealed to the frame at all? Or can I just stick some mastic or sealant of some kind in the space where the rubber has broken? What is the piece of rubber that has come loose and how do I replace this? I'm at a loss to know where to begin, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I've tried to attach some photos but they are too large, so I've put them on flickr instead: My link

Thanks,

Emily

Hi all!

I've recently purchased a 62ft Springer, which needs a bit of work doing to it. My first project is to refurbish the windows (standard hopper-type), as they are leaking. I'm new to boating and DIY in general and am having trouble even knowing where to start. I've had a good look at the leaking windows and where the frames are attached to the hull all looks fine. However, the rubber seal between the frame and the window appears to have broken and I believe this is where the water is coming in from. On the inside of the window, another piece of rubber (a window seal? window tape?) has come loose, so I guess this needs to be replaced as well. However, I'm not sure how to do either of these things. Do I need to take the entire glass part of the window out and completely re-seal it to the frame? Is that even possible with a hopper-type window, as the hopper isn't sealed to the frame at all? Or can I just stick some mastic or sealant of some kind in the space where the rubber has broken? What is the piece of rubber that has come loose and how do I replace this? I'm at a loss to know where to begin, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I've tried to attach some photos but they are too large, so I've put them on flickr instead: My link

Thanks,

Emily

To be successful you will need to:

2. Remove each window from the boat. You may have to drill out the pop rivets if that's how it is fastened. Slide a thin scraper ALL the way round and be VERY gentle or you will distort the frame, crack the glass or break the (small) screws that hold it all together
  3. Dismantle the window- one screw either side at the top, one screw either side of the centre bar
  4. Clean all the bits up.
  5. Renew all the seals- Seals direct or Hadlow marine for the rubber seal- there some flat stuff behind the hopper bit and the seal for the lower part is a long piece of circular rubber like a shoelace
  6. Re-assemble as previously.
  7. Re-fit the window to the boat- seal it either with non-setting butyl sealant(e.g. Seamseal CV) or with neoprene window tape.
  8. Repeat for other windows.

While the windows are out you will probably find it a good idea to tackle any rust that is hiding behind them and give the unseen bits of boat a good coat of paint.

Alternatively and probably not permanently many people swear by the efficacy of Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack cure. Applying sealant to the outside is highly unlikely to work for very long, if at all.

N

To be successful you will need to:

2. Remove each window from the boat. You may have to drill out the pop rivets if that's how it is fastened. Slide a thin scraper ALL the way round and be VERY gentle or you will distort the frame, crack the glass or break the (small) screws that hold it all together
  3. Dismantle the window- one screw either side at the top, one screw either side of the centre bar
  4. Clean all the bits up.
  5. Renew all the seals- Seals direct or Hadlow marine for the rubber seal- there some flat stuff behind the hopper bit and the seal for the lower part is a long piece of circular rubber like a shoelace
  6. Re-assemble as previously.
  7. Re-fit the window to the boat- seal it either with non-setting butyl sealant(e.g. Seamseal CV) or with neoprene window tape.
  8. Repeat for other windows.

While the windows are out you will probably find it a good idea to tackle any rust that is hiding behind them and give the unseen bits of boat a good coat of paint.

Alternatively and probably not permanently many people swear by the efficacy of Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack cure. Applying sealant to the outside is highly unlikely to work for very long, if at all.

N

Thanks! I'll order some new seals and give it a try!

Does it leak from the ends of the hopper, or behind the lining from the bottom corners?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

I'm not absolutely sure (it hasn't rained in a while, so I haven't been able to see it in action), but I think it's leaking from the top corners of the hoppers where the rubber seal has broken and from there down into the bottom corners of the hoppers and into the cladding surrounding the window. The cladding has gone rotten and warped from water damage below each corner where the rubber has broken.

I'm not absolutely sure (it hasn't rained in a while, so I haven't been able to see it in action), but I think it's leaking from the top corners of the hoppers where the rubber seal has broken and from there down into the bottom corners of the hoppers and into the cladding surrounding the window. The cladding has gone rotten and warped from water damage below each corner where the rubber has broken.

Sometimes they leak from the hoppers because of dirt or cobwebs accumulating, or some misplaced or ill placed window rubber or draught excluder in the wrong place, and it then wicks inside.

If the sealing between frame and cabin looks OK or there are only fine cracks, just run some weatherproof PVA glue or 'Capt Tolleys' (google :)) into the cracks when the weather is dry and leave for a while.

If replacing the cladding, make sure it and any battens near the window have an all-over coat of paint or protective wood stain, to protect them from any possible future leaks. While the cladding is off you could run a hose around the joins from the top and check the sealing and the hoppers are OK.

Removing the windows and re-sealing them may be the 'proper' way to do it but can turn into a bit of an epic job, as well as BEngo's excellent reply try a forum search on 'leaky windows'/'window leak' for more postings.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Sometimes they leak from the hoppers because of dirt or cobwebs accumulating, or some misplaced or ill placed window rubber or draught excluder in the wrong place, and it then wicks inside.

If the sealing between frame and cabin looks OK or there are only fine cracks, just run some weatherproof PVA glue or 'Capt Tolleys' (google :)) into the cracks when the weather is dry and leave for a while.

If replacing the cladding, make sure it and any battens near the window have an all-over coat of paint or protective wood stain, to protect them from any possible future leaks. While the cladding is off you could run a hose around the joins from the top and check the sealing and the hoppers are OK.

Removing the windows and re-sealing them may be the 'proper' way to do it but can turn into a bit of an epic job, as well as BEngo's excellent reply try a forum search on 'leaky windows'/'window leak' for more postings.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Thanks! I think I'll give that a try first and if it still leaks, replace the whole window.