Sunken boat at Atherstone

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

We've just stopped here at Atherstone top to do some shopping. Two locks down there is a sunken boat, near to the lock bollards; it's believed to have sunk earlier this morning. It's not causing any obstruction at the moment, but it is leaning over steeply towards the channel. I've just phoned C&RT to report it to them.

From a distance it looks like an old boat, with a dark blue plywood wheelhouse although I couldn't see if it's actually a cruiser or a narrow boat. If I get any other details I'll try and post them later.

Yes you're right, it's a cruiser. I couldn't see a name on it. Here are a couple of pictures.

7568660018_68c0e69e3b_z.jpg

P1060193 by Keeping Up, on Flickr

7568660444_e3b3e8a1ea_z.jpg

P1060197 by Keeping Up, on Flickr

It looks as if it shouldn't be too difficult to re-float, possibly by just draining the pound and refilling it, depending on why it sank of course.

This boat passed me yesterday, being pulled by a young woman as she couldn't start the outboard. She said she was pulling it to Ansty - brave I thought. Apparently she had only just bought it. I'll wander up shortly on my way to the pub and see if I can find out more.