Cabin Stool

Terence

Featured Posts

Anyone?

Hi Mark,

I have a lead that I will follow concerning the stool and will hopefully know something soon. The information I have at the moment is the painter could be Kentish.

I'm surprised at your interest and is it a coincidence that the person who bought the stool is also called Mark hmmmm ;)

The Lamp by the way I think could possibly be by Percy Foster you don't normally see southern style roses mixed with the Knobstick and Percy was not known for his Knobstick Rose.

Terence

I'm surprised at your interest and is it a coincidence that the person who bought the stool is also called Mark hmmmm ;)

Amazing isn't it ;)

The painting is better than it looks in to photos. Will be down next week so can drop it in for you to have a look. Maybe it is not by anyone well known but is still a very nice item regardless, so I'm happy with it (though I did get a bit carried away with the bidding and sort of regretted it afterwards, I wasn't even drinking at the time).

Edited by Speedwheel

Hi

I can't imagine the lamp being Percy Foster's work. Paintwork is far too fresh to date back to the 50s. I'm minded of a painter called Dave Williams who lived on a boat at Burton and painted some nice stuff - I used to letter boats for him in the 90's - he painted Southern roses in a chubby style and also produced nice knobstick style work. I'll get in touch and ask him.

The stool is pretty but looks like the work of an artist trying their hand at canal style. The castle is too elaborate for a dockyard painter and the whole thing a tad too overwrought. Pretty, certainly, but without the rough edges of the real thing.

Dave

Amazing isn't it ;)

The painting is better than it looks in to photos. Will be down next week so can drop it in for you to have a look. Maybe it is not by anyone well known but is still a very nice item regardless, so I'm happy with it (though I did get a bit carried away with the bidding and sort of regretted it afterwards, I wasn't even drinking at the time).

Tut tut. ;)

I have emailed a chap who claimed a relative of his may have painted it. Will let you know the outcome but in the meantime yes I would love to see it.

Hi

I can't imagine the lamp being Percy Foster's work. Paintwork is far too fresh to date back to the 50s. I'm minded of a painter called Dave Williams who lived on a boat at Burton and painted some nice stuff - I used to letter boats for him in the 90's - he painted Southern roses in a chubby style and also produced nice knobstick style work. I'll get in touch and ask him.

Dave

Hi Dave,

The paint looks a modern paint (although very old) but I would say not hand mixed. Which took me away from the past painters. Untill I came across a picture of a lamp painted by Percy, but only southern style roses which are very similar to the ones on my lamp. But then there are the Knobstick roses which I couldn't place. The lamp itself is old and could date that far back.

Let me know how you get on.

Terence