Lockgate Refleks stove queries

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

I have now had the opportunity to try to get to know the stove ( it initially had until a week or so ago a problematic valve, in that the rubber within swelled up and stopped the fuel flow) now that this valve has been replaced.. However I didn't have any manual today when I tried it, so most controls were a bit of trial and error.

I am still not 100% sure even which model it is as we have no supplied manual which is 99% of the problem, and with the lag of the fuel being admitted and being burnt, we are not fully sure what our actions are producing...

If anyone could help decipher these symptoms, I will have another go.... I will also try and get a manual from the manufacturers/importers...

Description:

I think ( am fairly sure) the stove is a Refleks 2000. There is a right-angled 6mm stainless pin that comes out of the back left side of it at low level and at the back right hand side is an oval chamber which I assume is an external float chamber ( quite large) which the control on top adjusts the fuel level of. On the right hand end of this is a lever that seems to go up and down a few mm which (again I guess) locks the float up or sets it free to float. There is a rotary control on top and at one extremity seems to click something (shut?) which (again I guess) sets the fuel level.

Some questions...

1) How far out (from fully in) should the stainless pin be withdrawn ? ( and what does it do ?)

2) For lighting, should the pot be allowed to have some fuel in and then a few ccs of meths poured on top of the diesel and lit, or start with meths only and

turn on the diesel when hot ?

3) For lighting should the rotary control be about halfway, or where ?

4) For lighting / running should the lever on the end of the oval chamber be up or down ?

5) There is a pink button on what looks like a thermistor-controlled oil valve which shuts off the supply of oil to the system - I presume this is to be held in

when lighting until something warms up and holds it in automatically ? ( similar to a gas fire or boiler )

6) What should I see through the clear glass window when lighting and also when the stove is running normally on low level and highest level ? Blue or Yellow

flame and any red hot metal ?

7) I do have a chimney extension which I didn't fit today but think I read somewhere that the stove might work better with it fitted, as it gives more draw

Perhaps the shorter option is intended for when on the move, to clear bridges etc ?

I did read through the thread a while back and thought I had understood it all, but then tried it out and there seemed to be several differences which leaves me a little in doubt as to what model stove I have got, but I think it's the 2000, without water jacket. They perhaps are similar anyway, just different sizes and with or without water jackets...

Thanks again,

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

Most of the answers to you queries are to be found here

1) How far out (from fully in) should the stainless pin be withdrawn ? ( and what does it do ?)

The manual states, “The cleaning pin is made of 6 mm dia. stainless steel, which slides in a brass T-piece, through a rubber O-ring, which can be changed in the event of leakage. The cleaning pin is used to keep the fuel supply to the burner free from the products from combustion (soot etc.). Under constant use the cleaning pin should be pushed in and out a few times every 14 days to keep the fuel inlet free from obstruction.

It is important that the cleaning pin is not left pushed right in whilst the stove is in use, as in this position the end of the pin extends into the combustion chamber and the end of the pin can be coated in soot and slag thus preventing its withdrawal. There can also occur heat transference through the pin which destroys the rubber O-ring.”

2) For lighting, should the pot be allowed to have some fuel in and then a few ccs of meths poured on top of the diesel and lit, or start with meths only and turn on the diesel when hot ?

Again, from the manual: "If methylated spirit is used this should be poured directly into the burner pot approx. 5 cc. and a lighted match thrown down into it."

(Frankly, I don't bother with all this meths palaver. I just turn on the fuel for a couple of minutes or until the fuel has crept about half way over the bottom of the burner pot then I chuck in a piece of lighted loo paper.)

"Close the top of the stove and wait 5-10 minutes, the time it takes for the stove to heat up and set light to the fuel oil. The control indicator can then be turned to the required from Pilot to 9 on the scale."

This will depend on how the flame height has been set. Fully anticlockwise is full on and fully clockwise is fully off.

4) For lighting / running should the lever on the end of the oval chamber be up or down ?

Down.

5) There is a pink button on what looks like a thermistor-controlled oil valve which shuts off the supply of oil to the system - I presume this is to be held in when lighting until something warms up and holds it in automatically ? ( similar to a gas fire or boiler )

Can't help, I'm afraid. I don't have one of these.

6) What should I see through the clear glass window when lighting and also when the stove is running normally on low level and highest level ? Blue or Yellow flame and any red hot metal?

Mine has always burned with yellow tips to the flames. The manual states that the stove should burn with a “pure, clean flame”, but doesn't say anything about the colour.

Most of the answers to you queries are to be found here

The manual states, “The cleaning pin is made of 6 mm dia. stainless steel, which slides in a brass T-piece, through a rubber O-ring, which can be changed in the event of leakage. The cleaning pin is used to keep the fuel supply to the burner free from the products from combustion (soot etc.). Under constant use the cleaning pin should be pushed in and out a few times every 14 days to keep the fuel inlet free from obstruction.

It is important that the cleaning pin is not left pushed right in whilst the stove is in use, as in this position the end of the pin extends into the combustion chamber and the end of the pin can be coated in soot and slag thus preventing its withdrawal. There can also occur heat transference through the pin which destroys the rubber O-ring.”

2) For lighting, should the pot be allowed to have some fuel in and then a few ccs of meths poured on top of the diesel and lit, or start with meths only and turn on the diesel when hot ?

Again, from the manual: "If methylated spirit is used this should be poured directly into the burner pot approx. 5 cc. and a lighted match thrown down into it."

(Frankly, I don't bother with all this meths palaver. I just turn on the fuel for a couple of minutes or until the fuel has crept about half way over the bottom of the burner pot then I chuck in a piece of lighted loo paper.)

"Close the top of the stove and wait 5-10 minutes, the time it takes for the stove to heat up and set light to the fuel oil. The control indicator can then be turned to the required from Pilot to 9 on the scale."

This will depend on how the flame height has been set. Fully anticlockwise is full on and fully clockwise is fully off.

Down.

5) There is a pink button on what looks like a thermistor-controlled oil valve which shuts off the supply of oil to the system - I presume this is to be held in when lighting until something warms up and holds it in automatically ? ( similar to a gas fire or boiler )

Can't help, I'm afraid. I don't have one of these.

6) What should I see through the clear glass window when lighting and also when the stove is running normally on low level and highest level ? Blue or Yellow flame and any red hot metal?

Mine has always burned with yellow tips to the flames. The manual states that the stove should burn with a “pure, clean flame”, but doesn't say anything about the colour.

Thanks for the info ....

Mine has a control that goes from 0 to 5 and fully clockwise is "OFF" - perhaps they have changed them ? The other info will get me closer though - thanks...

Nick

Thanks for the info ....

Mine has a control that goes from 0 to 5 and fully clockwise is "OFF" - perhaps they have changed them ? The other info will get me closer though - thanks...

Nick

Oops - Sorry. You're correct. I wasn't at the boat when I wrote that and memory is obviously failing. :lol: