BCN Marathon Challenge

stort_mark

Featured Posts

I want to take part in the BCN Marathon Challenge on 30th/31st May, but I can't get my boat down to Brum from Nottingham for then, so I'm looking to join/crew a boat for the event, and of course I'm willing to share the entry cost.

Alternatively, is a group interested in hiring a boat for the weekend to take part? I'm happy enough to stay in a B&B if the boat is too small for extra campers!

So any interest in extra crew or perhaps a conpetitive CWF team could be formed for this event?

Edited by stort_mark

I want to take part in the BCN Marathon Challenge on 30th/31st May, but I can't get my boat down to Brum from Nottingham for then, so I'm looking to join/crew a boat for the event, and of course I'm willing to share the entry cost.

Alternatively, is a group interested in hiring a boat for the weekend to take part? I'm happy enough to stay in a B&B if the boat is too small for extra campers!

So any interest in extra crew or perhaps a conpetitive CWF team could be formed for this event?

Yes, we are entering and will take you if you want.

Richard

Anyone else want some crew?

I'd love to do it as a trial to my summer trip

We'll take you too if you want. We have 10 berths, six crew on Saturday but only four on Sunday at the moment. We exceed the number of crew bonus already, so more muscle would be useful.

Richard

This is good. We are recruiting crew without having to send the press gang into Digbeth on Friday night!

One volunteer is worth ten pressed men.

Richard

Mind you, you can't beat a well pressed man...

Narrowboat Tawny Owl's crack crew is now strengthened with the addition of Steve "Proper Job" and Hairy-Neil. Still waiting to hear from Stort-Mark.

So the CWDF stealth boat crew is formed.

Richard

Or is that cracked???

Will Commando style balaclava hats be free issue or should we bring our own :lol:

I have a bucket full of Chimney soot for face blacking and we can repaint 'Tawny Owl' in 'Que Sera Sera' colours to ensure that we will not be seen.

:lol:

Will Commando style balaclava hats be free issue or should we bring our own :lol:

I have a bucket full of Chimney soot for face blacking and we can repaint 'Tawny Owl' in 'Que Sera Sera' colours to ensure that we will not be seen.

:lol:

The fading Alvechurch livery is usually cover enough.

Baklava in preference to balaclavas please.

Richard

And you choice of make up is your own, personally soot does nothing for me...

Bugger - Team BlackBeauty seems undermanned (underwomanned?) by comparison with only the two Magpies, John (nbBB) and myself and a possible extra on Sat. Unfair advantage to the many-berthed ex-hireboat....

How's Team 9of Hearts' planning coming along? Any other CWDF boats entering?

Looking forward to it - after missing it so many years in a row it's my first time - seems the banterlet in Walsall at the end is on at least!

Narrowboat Tawny Owl's crack crew is now strengthened with the addition of Steve "Proper Job" and Hairy-Neil. Still waiting to hear from Stort-Mark.

Richard

Or is that cracked???

'Ocelots Daughter' would also like to come along.

She is a crack lock worker of the highest order. Team BlackBeauty could bid for her? Any advance on two bacon sarnies?

Bugger - Team BlackBeauty seems undermanned (underwomanned?) by comparison with only the two Magpies, John (nbBB) and myself and a possible extra on Sat. Unfair advantage to the many-berthed ex-hireboat....

How's Team 9of Hearts' planning coming along? Any other CWDF boats entering?

Looking forward to it - after missing it so many years in a row it's my first time - seems the banterlet in Walsall at the end is on at least!

Team 9 of Hearts is still on target to join in, although with my diminuitive crew (who will also probably get bored about 3 hours in and repair below decks to fanny about on the wii) I'll be lucky to get to Tipton and back. Still, faint heart never won, etc. I de-bagged my prop last weekend for that extra burst of speed where necessary (and unobserved).

Team 9 of Hearts is still on target to join in, although with my diminuitive crew (who will also probably get bored about 3 hours in and repair below decks to fanny about on the wii) I'll be lucky to get to Tipton and back. Still, faint heart never won, etc. I de-bagged my prop last weekend for that extra burst of speed where necessary (and unobserved).

I believe that the child protection act is suspended for this event. Whips should be employed and Wii's banned :lol:

Still waiting to hear from Stort-Mark.

Richard

I'm in! Thanks. Look forward to it. Really busy with work this week so not much time to communicate and plan.

Will be in touch.

- Mark

Team Tawny Owl '09 has made its first move, including a magnificent 20 minute climb of Knowle locks.

Proper Job, Ocelot's daughter (?!), Stort_Mark and Hairy-Neil now confirmed as perhaps the first all-night mobile banter.

Richard

Who will be the opposition?

• 2 weeks later...

Oohhhh getting close now. Final team Tawny Owl arrangements are being made as we speak!

An oddball question, can anyone provide parking for a motorbike in Birmingham for Friday, Saturday, (Sunday?) nights? Somewhere around Bordesley would be ideal...

Richard

Who else is taking part?

Who will be the opposition?

A good question, well presented.

So we know that Fulbourne will be competing for second place. Who else is going for the runners up position?

Time to come out of the woodwork :lol:

Are there some of us you're not looking forward to seeing... :lol:

I couldn't possibly comment!

Tim

A good question, well presented.

So we know that Fulbourne will be competing for second place. Who else is going for the runners up position?

Time to come out of the woodwork :lol:

Having done many BCN Challanges in Fulbourne I can categorically state that you dont't win anything racing a three foot draught boat around the BCN!

Tim

To prove Alex Ferguson* wrong when he claimed, "you can't win anything with kids", the wooden spoon shall be mine. Oh yes.

*2nd time in a week, I do hope he can cope.

Having done many BCN Challanges in Fulbourne I can categorically state that you dont't win anything racing a three foot draught boat around the BCN!

Tim

A clever psychological ploy there by Tim. His 3' draught boat may be slow, but it will be an effective rolling road block!

Richard

1' 11" draught

CWDF entries so far:

Odana with Team Black Beauty

The Cat Who walks... with Team Nine of Hearts starting from Soho loop?

Fulbourne starting from Deepfields

Tawny Owl with the CWDF all-stars starting from Salford Junction. (Stort_Mark, Proper Job, Hairy Neil, RLWP and assorted galley staff, lockwinders and other sensible people)

Any more??

Richard

(I bet Nine of Hearts gets lost, as all places are alike to him...)