3 mobile broadband and a Mac

Nev

Featured Posts

Yes, another mobile broadband question.

I have mobile broadband from 3 but cannot locate any software for a Mac to use it properly (record data use and signal strength etc) the modem installs its own software when plugged into a PC but does not do the same for a Mac. Three's customer service response was keep checking the web site!!

On the off chance someone on the board uses a Mac with the 3 Modem - what software do you use if any?

Thanks

Nev

My Blog

I use SledgeHammer 2.0 and HouseBrick Pro to beat the lousy thing into submission.

Assuming it's the same modem as mine (E220) I'd suggest trying to find an excuse to take it back, as IME it doesn't work well with the Mac, at all.

Failing that, CheetahWatch is the closest you'll get, though it seems erratic. If you're particularly brave you can control some aspects of the modem (e.g. 3G-only mode, disabling the buggy Windows-only internal driver 'CD-ROM') by going into a serial terminal, such as screen, and sending some particularly obscure AT commands.

It won't help you but it might help others to know that I opted for the ZTE modem for my 3 Mobile Broadband (the black one in the ads) and it worked pretty much straight off on my Mac. No need to beat it with a sledgehammer or a housebrick!

I have a E220 I think Huawai. It is on Vodafone NZ, but I think it is the same thing and use it with a Mac with OS10.4.8 Tiger. I have no data usage except checking Vodafones website occasionally and sometimes have to unplug and reconnect the modem when it gets confused and won't connect to the internet.

I've got a Huwei (?) 3 dongle which I use with my macbook running OS X 5 - no problems at all. It tells me the signal strength but I don't know my data use...

However, it just plugged in and worked fine - I use a length of USB cable so I can dangle my dongle over the curtain rail - improved the signal no end!

Stickleback

You could, I suppose, try using another suppliers Mac software (Vodafone's has been OK so far) but then change all the required numbers and APN's etc?

I'm on Vodafone and found that once I'd installed the modem driver I had better results using the native connection software that than Vodafones on, though, and for usage measurement I've just started using http://www.thotzy.com/THOTZY/Thotz/Thotz.html which appears to be running OK at the moment.