Original fleet colours - pantone references

Featured Posts

During the 1970's/80's I ran "Inland Waterways Models" which built scale models for museums and private collections. Research was extensive and one area which was recorded was the original paint colours used, these were found during renovations etc of original craft and were carefully matched to Pantone colours. this reference sheet got lost some years ago but has turned up in a search through old documents.

Grand Union CCCo two tone blue = 301A & 298A

Grand Union CCCo red. white & blue = 185A , white & 293A

FMC green, yellow , red = 348A, 137c & 032A

Willow Wren CTS red, lt yellow, green + 185A, 116A & 370A

Central Eectric Authority joey cabin, green, yellow & red= 376A,114A & 172A

British Waterways blue & yellow fleet = 285A & 116A

British Waterways maintenance fleet = 294A & 116A

"Common blue" used on lining planks by Keays and other yards = 542 A

Samuel Barlow Braunston green = 341A

I must stress that these were matched from samples found on boats, they were recorded after dampening with turps to reveal the true colour often after sanding down a surface. They were matched to a Letraset Pantone colour sheet. I hope this is of use to modellers etc.

During the 1970's/80's I ran "Inland Waterways Models" which built scale models for museums and private collections. Research was extensive and one area which was recorded was the original paint colours used, these were found during renovations etc of original craft and were carefully matched to Pantone colours. this reference sheet got lost some years ago but has turned up in a search through old documents.

Grand Union CCCo two tone blue = 301A & 298A

Grand Union CCCo red. white & blue = 185A , white & 293A

FMC green, yellow , red = 348A, 137c & 032A

Willow Wren CTS red, lt yellow, green + 185A, 116A & 370A

Central Eectric Authority joey cabin, green, yellow & red= 376A,114A & 172A

British Waterways blue & yellow fleet = 285A & 116A

British Waterways maintenance fleet = 294A & 116A

"Common blue" used on lining planks by Keays and other yards = 542 A

Samuel Barlow Braunston green = 341A

I must stress that these were matched from samples found on boats, they were recorded after dampening with turps to reveal the true colour often after sanding down a surface. They were matched to a Letraset Pantone colour sheet. I hope this is of use to modellers etc.

Very Interesting.

- What do you know about the old Cadbury's colours and does anyone know a system which includes such a colour.

I had great difficulty finding a very dark rich chocolate brown and eventually, on the advice of Jan Deuchar chose BS 08-B-29 then modified it myself.

Untill recently dark browns have been well out of fashion and the only one I've seen that I really liked was Phil Speight's "dark brown".

Lo and behold I was in Wilko this morning and found that Wilko (own brand) and Dulux now produce a dark brown called Conker.

Very Interesting.

- What do you know about the old Cadbury's colours and does anyone know a system which includes such a colour.

I had great difficulty finding a very dark rich chocolate brown and eventually, on the advice of Jan Deuchar chose BS 08-B-29 then modified it myself.

Untill recently dark browns have been well out of fashion and the only one I've seen that I really liked was Phil Speight's "dark brown".

Lo and behold I was in Wilko this morning and found that Wilko (own brand) and Dulux now produce a dark brown called Conker.

Not a lot, but I am sure Harold Hood foreman of the Anderton Co told me the first motors were black and white. Cadbury has a archive at Bournville, try there.