£4.4m New Islington (Rochdale) canal works, Manchester.

Josher

Featured Posts

th_businessdesk__1267633981_New_Isling.jpg

A NEW footbridge is to be built over Rochdale Canal, connecting New Islington with neighbouring Ancoats, in east Manchester.

As part of the development works, two short section of canal will be also made to connect the New Islington canal to both Rochdale and Ashton Canals, allowing boaters to enter and moor in New Islington for the first time, while new paths and canal walkways will connect it to the city centre.

The Northwest Regional Development Agency (NWDA) is granting £4.4m towards the works.

It says the investment will maintain momentum in a key regeneration scheme and ensure that New Islington is ready for future development when the economic climate improves.

Work around the park and canals was completed by English Partnerships between 2003 and 2008 but remains fenced off. This investment will complete the work on public areas around New Islington and allow these projects to be unlocked and open to pedestrians and boats for the first time.

The wider New Islington project, a mixed-use development on a 12.5 hectare site, will include a new primary school, a new health centre, 1,458 new homes and 29 retail units, once completed.

It has so far been delivered by a partnership of urban regeneration company New East Manchester, the Homes and Communities Agency, Manchester City Council, lead developer Urban Splash, Great Places Housing Group and funding from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).

Paul Lakin, executive director of land and property at the NWDA, said: "New Islington is a major regeneration scheme but was at risk of delay due to current market conditions.

"Our aim is to bring new life, activity and revenue into the area. These works will achieve that, and will boost private sector confidence so that once the market improves, New Islington will see the immediate effects."

Eddie Smith, chief executive of New East Manchester said: "Opening up the area and connecting it to Ancoats and the Metrolink station at Pollard Street, through pathways and bridges, gives us the opportunity to attract more private sector investment through high quality commercial and residential schemes."

Tom Bloxham said: "Our ambition for New Islington was to turn the Cardroom Estate, one of the worst council estates in Manchester, into a great new place. The vision is fast becoming a reality; we already have great new homes at Chips. Guest Street and Islington Square, a world class NHS clinic, Manchester's newest park the Cotton Field, new canals and Old Mill Street is now one of the most striking roads in Manchester."

As well as the footbridge and canal connections, the investment from the NWDA will fund: start-up costs for the canal marina, allowing it to immediately accommodate boats and collect mooring fees; improvements to public areas including new footpaths; a swing bridge adjacent to the Chips development; and paving along the New Islington Canal.

All work will be complete by the end of 2010.

The Business Desk.com 04/03/10

th_businessdesk__1267633981_New_Isling.jpg

A NEW footbridge is to be built over Rochdale Canal, connecting New Islington with neighbouring Ancoats, in east Manchester.

As part of the development works, two short section of canal will be also made to connect the New Islington canal to both Rochdale and Ashton Canals, allowing boaters to enter and moor in New Islington for the first time, while new paths and canal walkways will connect it to the city centre.

The Northwest Regional Development Agency (NWDA) is granting £4.4m towards the works.

It says the investment will maintain momentum in a key regeneration scheme and ensure that New Islington is ready for future development when the economic climate improves.

Work around the park and canals was completed by English Partnerships between 2003 and 2008 but remains fenced off. This investment will complete the work on public areas around New Islington and allow these projects to be unlocked and open to pedestrians and boats for the first time.

The wider New Islington project, a mixed-use development on a 12.5 hectare site, will include a new primary school, a new health centre, 1,458 new homes and 29 retail units, once completed.

It has so far been delivered by a partnership of urban regeneration company New East Manchester, the Homes and Communities Agency, Manchester City Council, lead developer Urban Splash, Great Places Housing Group and funding from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).

Paul Lakin, executive director of land and property at the NWDA, said: "New Islington is a major regeneration scheme but was at risk of delay due to current market conditions.

"Our aim is to bring new life, activity and revenue into the area. These works will achieve that, and will boost private sector confidence so that once the market improves, New Islington will see the immediate effects."

Eddie Smith, chief executive of New East Manchester said: "Opening up the area and connecting it to Ancoats and the Metrolink station at Pollard Street, through pathways and bridges, gives us the opportunity to attract more private sector investment through high quality commercial and residential schemes."

Tom Bloxham said: "Our ambition for New Islington was to turn the Cardroom Estate, one of the worst council estates in Manchester, into a great new place. The vision is fast becoming a reality; we already have great new homes at Chips. Guest Street and Islington Square, a world class NHS clinic, Manchester's newest park the Cotton Field, new canals and Old Mill Street is now one of the most striking roads in Manchester."

As well as the footbridge and canal connections, the investment from the NWDA will fund: start-up costs for the canal marina, allowing it to immediately accommodate boats and collect mooring fees; improvements to public areas including new footpaths; a swing bridge adjacent to the Chips development; and paving along the New Islington Canal.

All work will be complete by the end of 2010.

The Business Desk.com 04/03/10

Will it require an adjustment in the levels?

The New Islington Arm is between locks 2&3 on the Ashton Canal, two locks up from the junction between the two canals. On the Rochdale, it would join above lock 82.

I believe that the Rise from Ducie St Junction will be significantly greater on the Ashton end, and that a lock will be required on this arm.

Will it require an adjustment in the levels?

The New Islington Arm is between locks 2&3 on the Ashton Canal, two locks up from the junction between the two canals. On the Rochdale, it would join above lock 82.

I believe that the Rise from Ducie St Junction will be significantly greater on the Ashton end, and that a lock will be required on this arm.

Looking more closely at this I think you will be able to enter either from the Ashton or the Rochdale, but the two sections will be separated by an avenue and will not link the two canals.

Looking more closely at this I think you will be able to enter either from the Ashton or the Rochdale, but the two sections will be separated by an avenue and will not link the two canals.

Not what was suggested

here

Not what was suggested

here

The only thing I can suggest is that the "link" may be the architectural/urban design jargon NOT a physical waterway link. "a link to the Cathedral" tends to mean being able to see it.

although given the cost of the scheme a lock wouldn't be that expensive overall

The only thing I can suggest is that the "link" may be the architectural/urban design jargon NOT a physical waterway link. "a link to the Cathedral" tends to mean being able to see it.

although given the cost of the scheme a lock wouldn't be that expensive overall

Reading the blurb, I do think that they are being optimistic about the popularity with moorers....

I don't know why this is being flagged up as "news" this week. It was "news" when it was first announced around 8 years ago. The canals have already been built. I suppose it's like a lot of things - they keep issuing press releases about the same things to keep them in the public eye!

The original vision was to have a new canal linking the Ashton and Rochdale Canals but, whatever the press releases might say, that ain't gonna happen. There are fibre optic cables and other services running under Old Mill Street which will cost too much to divert, so the two bits of canal stop on either side of Old Mill Street.

See this Google Street View looking from Old Mill Street towards the Rochdale Canal.

This Google Street View shows the other end of it, not quite connected to the Rochdale Canal yet.

The Ashton Canal end is also built and in water but not yet connected to the Ashton. There are photos of part of it on this page: http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/ashton/ac5a.htm

Edited to add:

The new canals can be seen in this Google Aerial View, which is not very recent!

Edited by MartinClark

Had a look around site - certainly plenty of work going on ...

IMG39.jpg

The levels do seem ok, the new canal is in water on one side of the road and would seem to come up to about the same level on the other except currently de-watered to allow the construction work to take place ...

IMG38.jpg

Where the road crosses the line of the canal, there are movement joints and the section of road over the canal is similar to railway sleepers ...

IMG32.jpg

Obviously to allow boats through then this section of infill road would have to be made into a bridge, perhaps a much larger version of the one already installed next to the junction with the Ashton ...

IMG41.jpg

Time will tell.

I did notice a nice little map during my walk around, showing the original layout ...

IMG42.jpg

and this can be compared with this photograph lifted from an estate agent's brochure ...

Canals.jpg

There can't be too many places on the system where new canal areas are being created and it will be interesting to see how this one develops.

I did notice a nice little map during my walk around, showing the original layout ...

IMG42.jpg

That is actually another little niggle.

They are billing this as the "New Islington Canal", which is pretty close to usurping the name of the "[New] Islington Arm".

Given that;

• The stub of the original Islington Arm is extant
  • It leaves the main line a lock lower down
  • The new alignment will actually cross the infilled end of the original arm at right angles and 10 ft higher up
  • The Ashton end is built along an unnamed branch that left opposite the Soho loop
  • The Rochdale end may or may not cut through the former Pot Street Arm

I think they should give it an entirelty new name that doesn't mess with the older names

I think it would have been great to link the Rochdale and Ashton Canals - and although I agree with all of mayalld's comments, this had never been done before - it seems from closer inspection of the New Islington web site (see below) that this was never envisaged. I do know who the developer is for this project and I will ask "why no connection" when I next come across him.

In the image (below), the existing lift bridge to the Ashton can be seen as well as the recently announced "new bridge over the Rochdale". Old Mill Street does not have a bridge. In the circumstances, perhaps they should have stuck with New Islington Branch (from the Ashton) and Pot Street Arm (from the Rochdale) - even if they are in new positions (this happens to roads all the time).

NI.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I did bump in to the developer at a function last night (Tom Bloxham from Urban Splash). The two sections will not be connected - there is a difference in level and there are fibre optic cables in the way! (full marks to posters above who seemed to know this already). I think that this would have been given some thought though before deciding against a link, as the project is being delivered by Nick Johnson from Urban Splash - and he has his own narrow boat.

The leader of the City Council did say at the same event that boats would be able to access the basin by September - can't wait as at the moment most boats stay at Castlefield at the other end of town.

The leader of the City Council did say at the same event that boats would be able to access the basin by September - can't wait as at the moment most boats stay at Castlefield at the other end of town.

I don't think it will make much difference to most people who would currently moor at Castlefield.

Many (perhaps most) of the boats moored there are Bridgewater Canal licensed boats which are only allowed onto BW waters for a certain number of days each year without an additional licence. Some of those boat owners choose to be on the Bridgewater Canal because they are not too keen on locks and would definitely not welcome a two-way traverse of the Rochdale Nine to spend a few days at New Islington.

Most of the other boats that moor at Castlefield are doing the Cheshire Ring and the boaters find Castlefield an ideal stop, with its close proximity to Manchester City Centre, restaurants and museums. Many boaters find it convenient to do the Rochdale Nine and the Ashton Canal in one day.

The Ashton side of the New Islington water might make a convenient overnight stop for boaters doing the Ashton or Rochdale, but there is already convenient mooring at Ducie Street and (under-used) secure mooring at Telford Basin.

I'm not sure how boaters would access the other bit of new canal from the Rochdale Canal side since the Rochdale locks are kept padlocked between 83 and 65 except when booked boats are passing through.

I don't think it will make much difference to most people who would currently moor at Castlefield.

Many (perhaps most) of the boats moored there are Bridgewater Canal licensed boats which are only allowed onto BW waters for a certain number of days each year without an additional licence. Some of those boat owners choose to be on the Bridgewater Canal because they are not too keen on locks and would definitely not welcome a two-way traverse of the Rochdale Nine to spend a few days at New Islington.

Most of the other boats that moor at Castlefield are doing the Cheshire Ring and the boaters find Castlefield an ideal stop, with its close proximity to Manchester City Centre, restaurants and museums. Many boaters find it convenient to do the Rochdale Nine and the Ashton Canal in one day.

The Ashton side of the New Islington water might make a convenient overnight stop for boaters doing the Ashton or Rochdale, but there is already convenient mooring at Ducie Street and (under-used) secure mooring at Telford Basin.

I'm not sure how boaters would access the other bit of new canal from the Rochdale Canal side since the Rochdale locks are kept padlocked between 83 and 65 except when booked boats are passing through.

You do seem to have a bit of a "downer" on this development :lol:.

Visiting boaters often enquire about safe moorings in Manchester when they plan to pass through, usually doing the Cheshire Ring. Any good, new, safe moorings with access to the city centre are to be welcomed.

Work has started on a new high level footbridge across the Severn below Diglis Locks and weir for pedestrians and cyclists. A welcome link for south Worcester.This will give boaters access to Sainsburys and all the other shops in St Johns.

Edited by Max Sinclair

You do seem to have a bit of a "downer" on this development :lol:.

Not at all! I can't see why you should think that. :lol:

Any new stretch of canal is good news but no-one should think that this will be Manchester's answer to the Liverpool Canal Link. Even if the two ends were going to join up (which they aren't) it wouldn't do much more than provide an alternative route to bypass the first couple of locks on the Ashton or Rochdale. Basically the water is there to provide a water feature for the new development, which is, of course, still to be welcomed.

Visiting boaters often enquire about safe moorings in Manchester when they plan to pass through, usually doing the Cheshire Ring. Any good, new, safe moorings with access to the city centre are to be welcomed.

Indeed boaters do often enquire, which is why it is on my my Frequently Asked Questions page.

Manchester has excellent moorings at Castlefield and good moorings in the Piccadilly area, but more would indeed be welcome. New Islington is not as convenient for the city centre as Castlefield and Piccadilly, though.

We don't know yet what sort of moorings are to be provided on these new stretches of water. They may all be for long-term moorings, which is what Manchester is really short of.

We don't know whether the lift bridge giving access from the Ashton Canal will be operable by boaters with standard keys and windlasses or whether someone will have to come along with special key.

We don't know whether there will be a charge for any short-term moorings.

We don't know how BW will manage access to the branch off the Rochdale Canal which is from a stretch where boaters currently have to book and turn up at a specified time.

This is not me having a downer, but looking realistically at some of the issues that will need to be worked out.

(Edited to correct tyop.)

Edited by MartinClark

We don't know yet what sort of moorings are to be provided on these new stretches of water. They may all be for long-term moorings, which is what Manchester is really short of.

Long-term moorings strongly suggested by the release at the NWDA site ("This will enable the Marina to immediately accommodate boats and begin collecting mooring fees").

We don't know whether the lift bridge giving access from the Ashton Canal will be operable by boaters with standard keys and windlasses or whether someone will have to come along with special key.

http://www.eadonconsulting.co.uk/ProjectNe...culeBridge.aspx suggests standard BW key.

I've uploaded the plan to http://www.waterwaysworld.com/images/new_islington.jpg which has a bit more detail, though not too much. It's pretty big at 4.1Mb. Martin - I'm sure NWDA wouldn't mind if you were to reduce the filesize and upload it to PW!

• 3 weeks later...