Oxford Moorings?

jonty

Featured Posts

Hello everyone,

I'm posting to ask for any information anyone might have of residential moorings in the Oxford area, as I may be moving to Oxford next year and would love to do so in a liveaboard. I have limited funds for boat and mooring (up to a max. of 40K). Is this at all realistic? I'm not too bothered by creature comforts and a small boat would be fine. I have loooked on the BW tender site and there doesn't seem to be anything offered, but I will keep checking. Are there any other options open to me? Anyone have a oxford-based boat that needs caretaking?? :lol:

Thanks for any help,

Jon.

Hello everyone,

I'm posting to ask for any information anyone might have of residential moorings in the Oxford area, as I may be moving to Oxford next year and would love to do so in a liveaboard. I have limited funds for boat and mooring (up to a max. of 40K). Is this at all realistic? I'm not too bothered by creature comforts and a small boat would be fine. I have loooked on the BW tender site and there doesn't seem to be anything offered, but I will keep checking. Are there any other options open to me? Anyone have a oxford-based boat that needs caretaking?? :lol:

Thanks for any help,

Jon.

I dont know of any residential moorings available in the Oxford area. The best thing to do is work out where you want to be, and then speak to the boatyards in the area to see if you can get some information. There are some boats coming up for rent in the area, you can keep track of them on dailyinfo.co.uk and click on 'boats' under the forsale section.

thanks for the fast reply! Not too bothered about location, as long as I can get into town by bicycle. I'll give the boatyards a go, and keep checking daily info. Are the rental boats ones you know to be coming up? Or are they come up regularly?

thanks again,

Jon

Don't know of any residential moorings -

although there has been this boat http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=94584

for sale for a while, and it is on the Agenda 21 residential moorings - you'd need to check with BW if the mooring can be past on with the sale of the boat.

and there is this boat

http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=84198

which needs a lot of work - but it is on a mooring, you'd need to speak to the owner of the mooring to know if it's residential.

but as bones says, check daily info.

think it might be just you... as it's working fine for me.

Hi ya, I live on the oxford canal and also work in the community. I will keep an ear out for you. Would you be happy constant cruising? there can be quite a few cheaper end of the scale boats but without the mooring. Send me your email and i can send you a pic of a boat i no WILL be for sale quite soon. Its just had a survey, re- fitting in process, paint job, hull blacking and engine tweek etc.

Don't know of any residential moorings -

although there has been this boat http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=94584

for sale for a while, and it is on the Agenda 21 residential moorings - you'd need to check with BW if the mooring can be past on with the sale of the boat.

£57K for a 50' Springer - Is it just me or is that a tad expensive? or, are they valuing the mooring (transferable?) as part of the sale?

Hi Tribalmayar,

Thanks very much for the offer. I'm not sure if constant cruising would be suitable, as I will probably divide my time equally between Oxford and London. How possible would it be to CC staying in range of Ox. by bike, and able to leave the boat unatended for days at a time? I would really apreciate it if you could send on any info you come across, my adress is jont dot day at gmail dot com.

Thanks again for the help,

Jon

£57K for a 50' Springer - Is it just me or is that a tad expensive? or, are they valuing the mooring (transferable?) as part of the sale?

Yeah, I think it is pretty steep for a springer, so I am presuming it's all about the mooring... (is the mooring transferable? it's an agenda 21 mooring).

Couldn't agree more, Steve: £57,000 for a '70s Springer? What credit crunch?

Though I have noticed recently that Springer prices have been climbing. It seems that they have achieved the status of, for example, rear-engined VW Beetles, desirable and cossetable, rather than just cheap, Friday-welded old boats.

What is an "Agenda 21" mooring?

Though I have noticed recently that Springer prices have been climbing. It seems that they have achieved the status of, for example, rear-engined VW Beetles, desirable and cossetable, rather than just cheap, Friday-welded old boats.

Hi Tribalmayar,

Thanks very much for the offer. I'm not sure if constant cruising would be suitable, as I will probably divide my time equally between Oxford and London. How possible would it be to CC staying in range of Ox. by bike, and able to leave the boat unatended for days at a time? I would really apreciate it if you could send on any info you come across, my adress is jont dot day at gmail dot com.

Thanks again for the help,

Jon

MMMM... See your dilemma, well most spots further away from town are 14 day moorings. Closer to town the days get shorter. Biking into town even from the kidlington area is defiantly do-able, 5-6 miles? And as for leaving them, they are pretty safe,ive not heard of anyone having any trouble, There are always lots of people about to keep an eye out, leave your number with a few neighbours just in case. You can buy a winter mooring which is about £250 for i think between sept- march ish.

There are boats that come up with moorings but more pricey. An Agenda 21 Mooring, attached to a sale, is an extra £10,ooo and im fairly sure it can only be transfered once, but ill check on that. So always check its transferable with the seller first.

Moorings tend to go pretty fast here so act fast if you see one!

Hope thats a help.

Agenda 21 mooring community was created in 2000 under the EU initiative providing for official sanction of traditional communities, after lengthy negotiations between oxford boaters co-op and BW. Agenda 21 boaters are permitted to moor anywhere within 5 designated zones between St.Edwards field and just north of wolvercote lock.