Displaying pictures not on your PC in the forum - step by step.

Featured Posts

This is part two of how to display picture and relates to those that are located elsewhere on the internet and not on your PC.

Firstly navigate to the web page that holds the picture you want to show in the forum (In this case one from our long since not updated blog)

Navigatetosite_zps8b80b555.jpg

Place your cursor over the picture you want to link to and right click. On the menu that comes up select 'Copy Image URL' The web address of that picture is now on your clipboard.

In your browser open a new tab and start a new post in the forum.

Startnewtopic_zps429e3430.jpg

Enter a title and some text.

addsometext_zps18ef13c5.jpg

Place the cursor where you want the picture to appear and look for the 'Insert Image button' on the tool bar - almost directly below the smiley face and a bit to the left.

Imagebutton_zps317d9050.jpg

Click on it which brings the following up.

URLbox_zps83022079.jpg

Right click in the box and from the menu that pops up select 'paste' which pastes the link into the box.

Rightclick_zps6cf23895.jpg

Click OK and your image appears in the post.

ClickonOK_zpsfc379df2.jpg

Click on Preview post to check all is well.

Postpreviewwithtext_2_zps1829c376.jpg

if happy click on post new topic and the post will display in the forum.

Postnewtopic_zps0623d7af.jpg

Remember to be aware of possible copyright breaches when using pictures form the internet.

Edited by The Dog House

I found pics all to easy to upload, result is I have multiple copies of one shot but I can find no way of deleting them.

What am I missing please.

Mike

If I understand your question correctly you should just be able to delete the extra links from your post, and the additional pictures should disappear.

Hot linking to pictures on websites not owned by you is generally frowned upon. I would recommend re-hosting the image on a free service such as imgur or photobucket if you have the rights to do so. If the image is owned by the site it is hosted on, link to their entire page instead of hot linking the image. By following your instructions you are using the bandwidth of the photo owner's site without the courtesy of giving them page views and the associated ad revenue.

Edited by Delta9

I found pics all to easy to upload, result is I have multiple copies of one shot but I can find no way of deleting them.

What am I missing please.

Mike

If I understand your question correctly you should just be able to delete the extra links from your post, and the additional pictures should disappear.

I should have said that the multiple copies are on my gallery rather than in a post.

Mike.

Hot linking to pictures on websites not owned by you is generally frowned upon. I would recommend re-hosting the image on a free service such as imgur or photobucket if you have the rights to do so. If the image is owned by the site it is hosted on, link to their entire page instead of hot linking the image. By following your instructions you are using the bandwidth of the photo owner's site without the courtesy of giving them page views and the associated ad revenue.

I'm glad that I mentioned the possible copyright breach then, though I ain't going to lose any sleep, nor do I think any body else should.

Im also glad someone has mentioned this, while its a very valid way displaying photos from your own website or blog which you have hosted, or images from an online service with allows hotlinking of there images such as an album on imageshack, if you do not own the copyright of the image, or do not have permission to use there bandwidth to redisplay the image, it is a form of theft and while our moderators cannot go around checking all images canalworld doesnt not can cannot condone hotlinking to images in this way without the permission of the image owner and host financier.

If you want to display an image you have locally, use a 3rd party provided, such as imageshack or photobucket to host it, and use the link they provide to post into your message.#

Daniel

Just to confirm that the copyright issue was indeed referred to in the very last line of my instructions (see above) and I have indeed produced a separate guide on how to link to images hosted on Photobucket.

This was produced as a follow up request, and as a replacement for my how to video which I asked to be taken down after photobucket altered their site.

The copyright issue is an interesting one, copyrighted images are often watermarked as such or often (like on Flikr) the ability to link to them is disabled. If I remember these days I often refer to a picture not being mine or credit the owner if it is clear from the image but it often is not.

Edited by The Dog House

My instructions merely refer to how to use a facility the site offers, and does indeed refer to the copyright issues. Primarily people use this for linking to their blogs or FB or pictures they own, which is one of the reasons I used my own blog and pictures in the example.

- there is another guide I have produced that shows how to link to images hosted on Photobucket.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=55758&hl=

Edited by The Dog House