Installing a wood burner

BRamsden

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

I've built the hearth and fire-board surround in line with the soflitec recommendations (covering it in thin copper sheeting not tiles and will be about 600mm from the bow window and double that from the nearest main cabin window.

Just monitor the other side of the wall that has the 'surround' on it.

The benefit of the porcelain tiles is two-fold in that they reflect a lot of heat (so you get it back into the room) and it stops a lot of heat gong thru into the woodwork.

I built our surround frame with 15mm ply and with a 1" airgap offset from the walls and then tiled them with porcelain glazed tiles - even so the other side of the wall became hot-to-the-touch, nor scorching hot but certainly 'hot'. If you simply have a sheet of copper (which is an excellent heat conductor) and your fire / stove is fairly close to the walls, you MAY get scorching of the wood behind it.

Just monitor and be prepared to put the fire out if need be.

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The benefit of the porcelain tiles is two-fold in that they reflect a lot of heat (so you get it back into the room) and it stops a lot of heat gong thru into the woodwork.

I built our surround frame with 15mm ply and with a 1" airgap offset from the walls and then tiled them with porcelain glazed tiles - even so the other side of the wall became hot-to-the-touch, nor scorching hot but certainly 'hot'. If you simply have a sheet of copper (which is an excellent heat conductor) and your fire / stove is fairly close to the walls, you MAY get scorching of the wood behind it.

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yep was a consideration I have a 300mm gap at the nearest point then I have 25mm fireboard behind the copper sheeting ....never remember the name of it - but also have a 25mm air gap to the wall on side and back, so hoping that will be enough, they recommend 10mm but I thought I'd play it safe.....fire extinguishers will be located at convenient distances between the stove and my bed ?....was thinking about it, should probably have one in a locker on the outside of the bow door in case I come home to an overly large real fire ? 

Thanks for thhe the warning though....was assuming it would be ok given guidelines.

2 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Yep was a consideration I have a 300mm gap at the nearest point then I have 25mm fireboard behind the copper sheeting ....never remember the name of it - but also have a 25mm air gap to the wall on side and back, so hoping that will be enough, they recommend 10mm but I thought I'd play it safe.....fire extinguishers will be located at convenient distances between the stove and my bed ?....was thinking about it, should probably have one in a locker on the outside of the bow door in case I come home to an overly large real fire ? 

Thanks for thhe the warning though....was assuming it would be ok given guidelines.

That should be all OK

(I did use fireboard - not plywood - you've just reminded me how expensive it was)

A mistake that many people make - a fire extinguisher is not for putting the fire out, it is for temporarily 'knocking it back' to allow you to get out of the boat - if you are already out of the boat you don't want to be trying to get in to save ANYTHING.

You need a lot more than a 2kg extinguisher to put out a fire that has got hold.

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That should be all OK

(I did use fireboard - not plywood - you've just reminded me how expensive it was)

A mistake that many people make - a fire extinguisher is not for putting the fire out, it is for temporarily 'knocking it back' to allow you to get out of the boat - if you are already out of the boat you don't want to be trying to get in to save ANYTHING.

You need a lot more than a 2kg extinguisher to put out a fire that has got hold.

Very true ....yep and it didn't come cheap you're right. I had to have two deliveries as well as DPD had cracked all the sheets in the first delivery despite their padded wrapping....managed to make use of some of it - useful for cutting the spacers for the main board as well.

Enjoy your Sunday & cheers again Alan ?