Lister HR3 to PRM 101 adaptor plate

Featured Posts

Hi all I am trying to locate some parts for my HR3 but after scouring the internet for nearly five hours today I have been unable to locate the parts I need.

From what I can see I have two options.

Option one.

I can try and locate a Blackstone gearbox for this HR3 but what other parts would I need to attach this as to the words and music this gearbox goes on the back of the engine and requires the gear wheel housing to be replaced with a cast iron mounting to take the Blackstone gearbox, would this be the best way of mounting this and would this be the most simple way of making this engine for marine use?

Option two.

I have a PRM 101 gearbox left over from my old engine, I have seen Lister engines with PRM gearboxes mounted to the flywheel end, Is this do able for the HR3 and would this work if I could find the parts.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the right parts for option one, I can source a Blackstone gearbox relatively easily from RealDiesels but at a cost of around £2000 which isn't too bad but doesn't include the engine mounting equipment and would the Blackstone gearbox be a better option for this engine over a PRM as i have heard different opinions from people about the conversions so i would like to make sure I get this right before going ahead with the installation.

Cheers

TCB 

There is a common denominator between both your options, that you are using a gearbox that is long in the tooth ( ! ) and will require a mounting frame or adaptor  between the engine and gearbox, ready made castings or fabrications may well not be available.

Could I suggest that a new PRM280 gearbox and a purpose made fabricated mounting be made to suit by an engineer/fabricator?

Such a gearbox can be bought for less than £1400 all in. The cost of the engineering will be the same no matter what.

I have just completed a purpose built adaptor to marry a Borg Warner 71C box to the flywheel end of a HR3. It is a much better engineering solution in my opinion than mounting the box on the gear end of the engine. The larger engines drove from the flywheel end and Lister made a whole series of  housings  of various SAE dimensions to carry mounting plates for a variety of driven units. The HR3 which has very low hours is now for sale and if any one is interested please PM me. Regards, HughC.