Atlas and Malus

___

Featured Posts

Next week I am doing my annual week of work crewing Atlas and Malus. Although the basic history of the boats is documented I cannot find any information on the people who worked these boats during their working careers other than during the period where Atlas was used by the 'trainees' during WW2.

So does the forum know anything of the people who worked either of these boats (and the boats they were paired with) during their original working careers?

Thanks,

JP

I supplied a comprehensive history relating to both of these boats and the people that operated them to a representative of the B.C.N.S. on 14 February 2015, with all of the detail coming from first hand research and documents / transcripts held by me - i.e. nothing from internet websites or other publications :captain:

2 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I supplied a comprehensive history relating to both of these boats and the people that operated them to a representative of the B.C.N.S. on 14 February 2015, with all of the detail coming from first hand research and documents / transcripts held by me - i.e. nothing from internet websites or other publications :captain:

It would appear the BCNS have been selective with the information they post on their website.

Is there any information from within that you provided you would be willing to divulge on the forum or by PM please?

If not perhaps the name of the person to whom it was sent as I can probably contact them directly.

Thanks,

JP

45 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

It would appear the BCNS have been selective with the information they post on their website.

Is there any information from within that you provided you would be willing to divulge on the forum or by PM please?

If not perhaps the name of the person to whom it was sent as I can probably contact them directly.

Thanks,

JP

As you are not the owner of these boats my divulgance (is that a word ?) will depend on your motives. This is because I have helped people out in the past that do not own the particular boat / boats only to find they are using the information to get an upper hand in a potential purchase, using the information in a publication to make money (usually in their own name) or using my words to correct captions on poorly researched websites, i.e. forwarding to C. & R.T. archives.

I am frequently asked to provide a boat history by the owner of a boat and I have never refused, not yet anyway - and most are quite surprised by what I have. I suggest any further conversation is conducted via PM / e-mail but I wanted to make my position clear :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

32 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Atlas was notionaly paired with our old butty Atalanta  that is still in existence as a butty.

never had any evidence that they worked together, atalanta being sold off quite early. 

We spent time trying to get atlas.... but failed and paired her with Thaxted

There is some circumstantial evidence as ATLAS and ATALANTA were delivered together, inspected for their health registration on the same day as each other (along with only BARGUS and BETELGEUSE) and were Grand Union Canal Company gauged on the same day as each other and issued with consecutive gauge numbers (along with BRIAR and UXBRIDGE which were also issued with consecutive gauge numbers). Some might suggest that as these dates cover some seven months this provides sufficient evidence that ATLAS and ATALANTA did work together when new - I still say maybe until I see some real evidence, i.e. a fleet list or a photograph :captain: